Check Engine Light

I have a check engine light that recently come up. Unplugged the battery and replugged it, light went away and then came back on about 15 minutes of running the car. Any common problems I should check out? I noticed I have an increase in gas consumption so I think one of the oxygen sensors went bad. Where are the locations for the sensors?

Poorly fitting gas caps and faulty emissions related sensors are the most common causes of getting a CEL (check engine light). But it can get expensive by taking the shotgun approach and just replacing out sensors without knowing which one is bad. Disconnecting the battery only treats the symptom and not the cause.

Before you do anything, go to Autozone and have the trouble code(s) read for free. Write them down and post them up here so that we can better help you with the area that trips the code. Secondly, keep in mind that the sensor or problem that is indicated by the trouble code may not be the actual problem.

There are hundreds of possible trouble code combinations that could be causing the light to come on.

You won't know what they are until you get the codes read.

steviej