Power Steering Pump Shaft Removal

In the lexls "how to re-build pump" it shows a pic of the nut and washer he used to get the pump shaft out. The pic is somewhere on this post ore you can see it here http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/pspumprebuild.html

. I cannot see how he used that set-up to get the shaft out with a slide hammer. I know there is a lexus specialty tool, but the tool is $60 and they said it has to be made, so it wont even come until may. So how do i get the thing out?!? better yet tell me how he got it out. If you see the atttachments that come with a slide hammer you buy or rent, I dont see how any of the atttachments could be used except some loc-plyers.

post-24633-1144094678_thumb.jpg

You could use a slide hammer with a hook on one end to pull it out. Snap-On makes adapters for their silde hammers that have a collet and various pieces that act like a nut to thread onto the pump and secured by the collet to the slide hammer. Once the snapring is off, couple good blows with the slide hammer and it'll come off.

yea i used a slide hammer to do that. i guess i didnt mention or lexls didnt mention. in the tutorial section there is almost the same write up.

another way you might be able to do it would be to tie a preferably a cable or maybe metal wire and tie it to the shaft somehow and to something solid and just pull at it so that it creates kind of a slide hammer action.