Trac & Check Engine Light?

ls460

I have heard that this problem is quite common with the early LS400. I have a 91 LS400 and it appears that after the TRAC system works a couple of times the TRAC disengages and the light continues to stay on, along with the CHECK ENGINE light. The two appear together, but after a while the the CHECK ENGINE light disappears, and the TRAC is the only one on.

Now if I turn off and restart the car, the lights disappear ... Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading..

The ECM is storing these warnings, what needs to be done is just reset the computer just by simply removing the fuse 20 , prior to that remove the negative battery terminal . Once the battery is disconnected remove the fuse and connect it after 5 -1o mts. Connect it back and fix the battery terminal. Here you will lose your memory saved settings ( clock / radio etc) go for a test ride. IF it is still persists Check the code of the warning lite via the obd tool. Mostly it is the sensors which on the manifold front end which has a high failure rate. You need to change this cost 100$ for 2 pcs. lemme know the result cheers

The ECM is storing these warnings, what needs to be done is just reset the computer just by simply removing the fuse 20 , prior to that remove the negative battery terminal . Once the battery is disconnected remove the fuse and connect it after 5 -1o mts. Connect it back and fix the battery terminal. Here you will lose your memory saved settings ( clock / radio etc) go for a test ride. IF it is still persists Check the code of the warning lite via the obd tool. Mostly it is the sensors which on the manifold front end which has a high failure rate. You need to change this cost 100$ for 2 pcs. lemme know the result cheers

You can also wipe the error code memory directly by pulling the EFI fuse, look under the cover of the engine bay junction box and you will see it labelled, 20amps. If its disconnected for more than 10 seconds with the ignition off then its wiped, no need to disturb the other settings.

The ECU has a super sensitive diagnosis mode that you can activate by connecting TE2 to E1 in the TDCL (diagnosis terminal in the footwell) with the ignition off. Start up and go for a drive then disconnect the wire and connect terminals TE1 to E1 with ignition on and the check light will start to pump out the fault codes. Count them, ie 2 flashes, pause, 5 flashes is error code 25. Sequence runs from small code numbers up, then repeats.

Tell us the codes and we will tell you whats wrong!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the input.

Actually I got it tested from the dealership and apparently it is the TPS sensor. I managed to get the part from eBay. Any ideas where I can find instructions to install it?

Thanks. LS460