Need Advice On 93 Gs Cd Player

Guys,

Had my fairly pristine 93 GS 121k miles, for about 3 weeks now and it's a great ride. The car didn't have a CD cartridge when I bought and the previous (and only other) owner was a "talk Radio" listener and said he hadn't seen the cartridge in years.

Today I bought a new 12 disk cartridge magazine, loaded several CDs (not burned CD-R type) and it went through its load procedure and then nothing. After a few minutes, it showed the disk #, and then I got "Err" display. It would let me change disks, but none would play??

Does this mean the player is bad? What options do I have. I've used the search, but no conclusive answers.

Thanks for the help.

I have an 01 GS430 and had the same problem. I contacted the dealer that sold me the car and they told me to put the cd's up side down in the cartridge. This fixed the problem and now my cd player works great. maybe this could be the same problem you are having?

I took a chance this morning and went to Best Buy and bought a Maxell 340 CD Lens Cleaner. I put it in tray #1. At first, it too gave the Err message. I kept turning it on and off and after maybe 10 tries, the cleaner CD began to play! I ran the cleaning track twice and then tried to load the next CD...damn Err again. Went back to cleaner CD and ran the cleaning track twice for two minutes, until the annoying high pitched tone stopped. I again tried to load a music CD and IT PLAYED.

It's been playing most of the day...I keep going out to check it. Hopefully it's fixed. I was dreading buying a new head unit since I love the OEM stereo and wanted to keep car original.

• 10 months later...