Thinking Of Buying A 2003 Gs 430

My first post. I used to own a 2003 GS 300, sold it bought a BMW 530i sport. Keeping the Bimmer but am considering buying a 2003 GS 430, silver w/black, every available factory option like levinson/nav, spoiler, wood steering wheel, 17" summer tires with the sport wheels.

Is the Levinson stereo alot better then the standard or just slightly better?

Does everyone like the navigation system? Please note positives/negatives.

Is the 8 cyl as reliable as the 6 cyl?

Is it worth $33,750? here's the facts:

The car has 15,000 miles which is very low. It's a non cpo from a private party. Is in new, mint condition. Kelly Blue book, Edmunds and other same year advertisements tell me this is a pretty good deal. Thoughts? I'm concerned about the new '06 model making the older generation depreciating faster then it should?

What else should I know? Problems, issues, concerns.

Lots of questions but don't want to make a $33,750 mistake! :chairshot:

$33,000 for a 2003? I know it has low miles but thats still way to much. I think for that price you can get a 2005 now. Dont know..I havent done my research in a while so dont hold me to this

Might as well add another $10k and get 2006 :whistles:

I take that back...they ARE going for about $33k+....

looks like they dont depreciate as much as you think....the GS has ALWAYS kept its value.

Dealers around here in DC MD are still selling it for ABOVE bluebook value in some cases...I have 98 GS and most people think its a 2002 etc...the 98-2005 looks very modern and people still love the look. Not to mention the reliabilty of the GS...just remarkable

98-99 GS's with 100k sell for around 14-16k around here..blue book is about 12k

$33,000 for a 2003? I know it has low miles but thats still way to much. I think for that price you can get a 2005 now. Dont know..I havent done my research in a while so dont hold me to this

Might as well add another $10k and get 2006 :whistles:

I take that back...they ARE going for about $33k+....

looks like they dont depreciate as much as you think....the GS has ALWAYS kept its value.

Dealers around here in DC MD are still selling it for ABOVE bluebook value in some cases...I have 98 GS and most people think its a 2002 etc...the 98-2005 looks very modern and people still love the look. Not to mention the reliabilty of the GS...just remarkable

98-99 GS's with 100k sell for around 14-16k around here..blue book is about 12k

From all the research I've done I think this is a good buy. The original MSRP was $52,740 so I guess invoice was around $48k give or take. It was probably bought at MSRP or maybe around $50k. That's about a 30-35% depreciation in 3 years! Just trying to get a feel here from the pros! ;)

If you're looking for opinions, which I think you are, mine is that that is a great price, considering how much car you are getting.

I paid 30k last year for a 2001, with all the options you mentioned plus it is black on black, but it only had 13k miles on it. The thing had just been sitting in this guys garage as his third car, and he never drove it. Still smelled new, not even a nick on it anywhere, brand spanking new. Considering what the sticker was, regardless of the fact that it was an 01, I couldn't pass it up. He was asking more than that, and took my offer of $30k.

It was a private party, by the way.

Good luck.

I considered BMW's strongly, I used to have a 735i, but to get the same options and the same power as on the GS430 I had to spend a whole lot more. The more affordable BMW's don't have near the power, and to get what you really want out of the car you have to spend a whole bunch more dollars than on a GS430. I still will own another BMW one day, but it's when I can buy the biggest engine with all the options. For now, I'm more than pleased with my 430, I'll keep this one for a long time.

By the way: on the sound system, the ML sounds fine, I wouldn't say it knocks my socks off or anything. I'm not a big sound officianado, either.

• 2 weeks later...