Towing

dsmith

does anybody tow a travel trailer with there lexus and if so do you use an equaliser hitch, and what effect does it have on your automatic height control? some say you dont need an equalisation hitch---- i pulled my trailer without one but installed a anti-sway but if i cranked up my anti-sway adjustment the height control would go into low.

java script:emoticon(' :whistles:', 'smid_8')

:whistles:

david

does anybody tow a travel trailer with there lexus and if so do you use an equaliser hitch, and what effect does it have on your automatic height control? some say you dont need an equalisation hitch---- i pulled my trailer without one but installed a anti-sway but if i cranked up my anti-sway adjustment the height control would go into low.

david

I tow a race trailer (open) and the whole setup weighs almost 5K. As to your question, it depends on how much tongue weight you are putting on it. The rule of thumb is 10% of your total weight on the tongue. The auto height-control is rated for up to 700lbs which should be plenty. If you haven't loaded your TT correctly and you have too much on the tongue, you will bypass the height control.

Get your trailer weighed somewhere with all your stuff in it to figure out where you are on totals. They sell a tongue scale that you can use to check your weight. Equalizing hitch takes weight off the tongue so you should be OK to use of of them instead.

thanks my question is do you use a equaliser hitch? and do you use a anti-sway bar my trailer tows fine but one needs an anti-sway control and if i adjust that up my height control goes into low, thats with the same trailer, same load, it seems the anti-sway control interferes in some way. some say switch the height control off, i havent tried that yet , also i have been told to just buy the equaliser hitch

david

What is an equaliser hitch? Never hear of that. Is that one of the hitches where it goes lower or higher than straight out?

I tow a boat and trailer that weighs ~5500 pounds. All stock, don't know why you would need an anti-sway bar? Never had a problem, tows like there is nothing back there, except for lack of acceleration. Sometimes the rear end will be lower, like when I just put the boat on, but when I start it up it levels out perfectly.

thanks my question is do you use a equaliser hitch? and do you use a anti-sway bar my trailer tows fine but one needs an anti-sway control and if i adjust that up my height control goes into low, thats with the same trailer, same load, it seems the anti-sway control interferes in some way. some say switch the height control off, i havent tried that yet , also i have been told to just buy the equaliser hitch

david

erupert;

What do you race? I have a modestly quick Kawasaki motorcycle that I still get to the track with every so often. Nothing competitive these days, just 'track days' and club stuff ..... but verve-inspired nonetheless. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

david

I tow a race trailer (open) and the whole setup weighs almost 5K. As to your question, it depends on how much tongue weight you are putting on it. The rule of thumb is 10% of your total weight on the tongue. The auto height-control is rated for up to 700lbs which should be plenty. If you haven't loaded your TT correctly and you have too much on the tongue, you will bypass the height control.

Get your trailer weighed somewhere with all your stuff in it to figure out where you are on totals. They sell a tongue scale that you can use to check your weight. Equalizing hitch takes weight off the tongue so you should be OK to use of of them instead.

I tow a 16foot long box trailer (2000lbs) with my Lotus Elan vintage racer (1400lbs) and use an equalizer

hitch. Tongue weight varies from about 300-375, depending on how many spares and tools I carry.

My equalizer torsion bars have a length of chain on the trailer end and you can ajust the amount of

preload on the bars. On the 470 I'm using 5 links of pre-load instead of the 6 on my old Dodge Ram,

to get a level ride without any sound from the suspension compressor when I raise the trailer jack

putting the load on the vehicle.