Car Wont Stay On.

SlammedLs400

Hi i drive a 94 lexus ls400 and i replaced the alternator and the accessory belt and everything started up fine but now it wont stay on. i turn it over and it stays on for a half second or less. i mad sure the two clips are in the alternator nice and snug. i dont think its the battery since it cranks over. what could it be? It turns over and dies. No sputtering or high reving just on then off.

Try disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes or so to reset the ECU..If that fails. Give us a little more info such, as why you had to replace the Alternator, any problems encountered during installation Etc., Etc. I assume you disconnected the Battery prior to installation...And the new belt is spinning on start up.

Try disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes or so to reset the ECU..If that fails. Give us a little more info such, as why you had to replace the Alternator, any problems encountered during installation Etc., Etc. I assume you disconnected the Battery prior to installation...And the new belt is spinning on start up.

I replace it because it was bad. Funny thing is now i went to go work on it a boom started right up :wacko: yeah i had the battery disconnected when installing the new one. but any other ideas?

Is the airflow meter plugged in?

Check as recommended by mehullica

No slight on your machanical abilities, as you are obviously capable to attempt an alternator swap, but please also check that you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere.

How long ago was the fuel filter changed?

Good luck.