Starter Turns Automatically Without Key

Hello,

I have a '94 GS300 with 144k miles. About 2 months ago I started having problems starting the car. I would turn the key but nothing would happen except a single click sound. I checked the battery and it was fine, replaced the posts connectors as they had a bit of corrosion on them and the problem went away.

Then about 2 weeks ago it came back with a vengence. More or less every other time I started it. I noticed if I took the gear shift out of P into R and back it would engage and turn over so I figured maybe I had a bad neutral indicator sensor (if that's what it's called) and with having a new baby and my wife needing surgery this week I figured it could be put off until things settled down.

Last night I went out to the parking lot to drive home and there was no power to my car. Odd. I popped the hood to have my brother jump start it and the battery positive terminal was still hot and it looked like some fluid leaked out of my battery. Weird. Then we put the cables on the battery and the starter began turning over the engine -- except I hadn't put my key in the ignition!! So we disconnected the cables and tried to wiggle the key in the ignition to no avail -- with the jump cables back on the starter still turns over by itself. (Which is why the battery was probably drained, ugh.)

Anyway, my uncle seems to think the solenoid is burnt out and that makes sense sort of but I've never heard of such a thing before. I did a pretty good search on starters and solenoids and have some good info on getting it on and off and possible replacement of the solenoid parts (if it's that easy, otherwise I'll just replace the starter) but has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Should I replace the neutral safety switch as well?

Thanks,

Mike

I agree about needing a new solenoid. I spoke to the parts desk at my local lexus dealer and they said that the solenoid kits (the copper pieces, sorry don't know exactly what they're called) can not only wear out but they can actually fuse shut which in my case caused the starter to run non-stop until the battery died.

Getting the solenoid kit was the easy part. Getting the starter off is WAY HARDER. Ugh, I found an old post by gs300 explaining how to do it but I've had a heckuva time just finding the 14mm swivel socket to get in there and take the two bolts off. I tried a u-joint socket adapter but the angle is too sharp and locks the adapter up. Sears has one for 8.50 but they're not in stock and it'll be weeks before their next shipment. I finally found one on a website that is going to run me about $40 after shipping costs ... sheesh! Oh well, I'll have the part now ;)

I'll respond back if it's not the solenoid but otherwise consider it fixed.

Thanks,

Mike

:wacko: That was the worst experience trying to get that stupid starter off!! Holy cow! Anyway, I was finally sucessful and when I popped the top on the solenoid sure enough the plunger was fused to the solenoid copper thingees (that's technical for "what's that part called") and when I wiggled the bendix a bit it finally came loose and now it'll be a cinch to replace the parts. When I'm all done and have it back in (bit nervous about that, things are usually easier to take off than put on and it was miserable to take off so I can't imagine what's in store :blink: ), I'll be sure and post all the gory details in case anyone else wants to try this on a series 1 GS300.

Mike