Ls400 Ac Compressors Interchangable?

chrispiss

I'm looking to buy a 92 LS400 from a coworker for a very good price. She is an older lady and it's been babied its whole life. I currently have an ES300 and my wife and I are looking for a car for her and this came up.

Anyway, apparently the only thing wrong is the AC compressor went out. I was looking around and found them for between $400-500 on ebay for a new one, but then I found compressors for a 93-94 LS for about $150. It says that they won't fit in the 92's, but I was wondering why. Does it just bolt into the engine bay differently or will it actually not work?

Also, how do I know if it has the air spring suspension? was it an option or do they all have it?

Thanks guys

CP-

Air suspension was an option on a 92. If the car has air suspension, there will be some switches that look like this (but not exactly like this, as this picture is from a LS430). They would be on the left side of the gear shift console, above the ECT switch.

post-21109-1141596596_thumb.jpg

Word of warning: If it has air suspension, the replacement costs are big... as much as $1000 per strut. I understand you can get non-OEM replacement strut conversions for $200+ per.

Thank you both very much! And thanks for the pics of those switches, I will know to look for those when I check the car out.

Also, I dont' think I would buy the $150 compressor, but it just seemed weird that there was that big of a difference.

Along those lines, check out this auction on ebay:

link

This says the compressor works with 90-97, is that reliable information?

Again, I really appreciate this guys.