Climate Control Fan Problems

witty

I have 97 ES 300 with around 40,000i on it. Car is in excellent shape except for fan on the climate control. When in AUTO the fan will randomly change speed or even shut off completely. I realize that in AUTO the fan speed may change due to temperature of the cabin but it seems to be changing when it shouldn't be (such as when it is hot outside and the AC is on, the fan may just cut off completely causing the interior to get warm but the the fan never turns back on). The same problem will also occur in manual mode although it happens more in AUTO. I have run the diagnostic check on the climate control and everything checks out fine. If I perform a reset, the problem will go away temporarily, but it always returns. The air temperature is fine (AC is cold and heat is hot) and there is nothing strange with the display. Have checked all connections that can be reached easily and they are solid.

Any suggestions???

I've seen a few blower motor resistors go bad, causing strange intermittent problems. It's to the right of the gas pedal, pull down the carpet and you'll see it. Black connector.