60000 Service For Rx300

pitman

I own a 2005 RX330. I went to get the 30,000 miles service which includes oil change. I needed 3 new tires.

I'm still in shock at the cost of the tires and the services. They quoted me $974 for the service and about $750 for the three tires. Is this realistic? I don't really plan to do all my own maintenance but the word sucker sure seemed like it fit.

Could I learn to do all this or are the tool and knowledge requirements too great for the headaches and anxiety?

I felt like I was rebuying the car. Are new tires at 30,000 miles normal? I thought they lasted longer.

I loved my Toyota Camry. It didn't seem to eat money to service. I have enjoyed the Lexus ;but, feel like I have been gouged. I don't want a repeat experience at 60,000 miles too.

I own a 2005 RX330. I went to get the 30,000 miles service which includes oil change. I needed 3 new tires.

I'm still in shock at the cost of the tires and the services. They quoted me $974 for the service and about $750 for the three tires. Is this realistic? I don't really plan to do all my own maintenance but the word sucker sure seemed like it fit.

Could I learn to do all this or are the tool and knowledge requirements too great for the headaches and anxiety?

I felt like I was rebuying the car. Are new tires at 30,000 miles normal? I thought they lasted longer.

I loved my Toyota Camry. It didn't seem to eat money to service. I have enjoyed the Lexus ;but, feel like I have been gouged. I don't want a repeat experience at 60,000 miles too.

My 05 RX had 30,000 when I traded it in. Tires were well-worn. Dealer wanted $1000 for 4 Michelin tires. Maybe you should have held off and gotten tires elsewhere. I've heard that the Bridgestone Alenza's are a superior tire with much greater treadware, and will run about $750 for a full set of four.

As for Lexus service charges, they are way out of line. My friend has a Toyota Solara and pays only about 3/4 as much in maintenance costs for similar services. Per-hour labor costs are higher, as is the markup on the exact same parts. The local Lexus and Toyota dealers are owned by the same people, too. Plus, the Toyota waiting area (and showroom too) is much nicer than the Lexus one. Go figure...

Tires from the dealer? Thats a bit curious. I'd say in the future simply get your tires at an independent tire shop, there should be numerous ones in the phone book. Depending on the size and type of tire I'd be surprised if you couldnt get a ful set of tires installed for $500-600, maybe less.

As for the service, unless you really like the peace of mind or ease of going to Lexus, simply find an independent shop or use a Toyota dealer if theres one arounnd (and if they'll do the work). either way you'll pay less.

It would be nice to get my hands on a list of Lexus parts that are simply rebranded Toyota parts. Sure, Lexus uses some upgraded components, but I'm sure that the majority of the parts are exactly the same as used in a Toyota. Until you want to purchase the part from a Lexus dealer - then expect to pay substantially more than from the Toyota dealer. The parts have different numbers, so you can't cross-reference them. Clever move, eh?

Then there's the Toyota dealers that refuse to work on Lexus, even though they'll gladly service the Buicks that they sold off their used car lot. Seems unfair.

My salesman implied that (since they own the Toyota dealership as well) that the company uses only its best mechanics at the Lexus dealership, and many customers who own other luxury cars have them serviced there. In fairness to the dealership, every problem or request I've had has been taken care of promptly and to my satisfacation. But their shop rates are higher than at their Toyota franchise. This is how they can give you that "free" loaner car and car wash.

It would be nice to get my hands on a list of Lexus parts that are simply rebranded Toyota parts. Sure, Lexus uses some upgraded components, but I'm sure that the majority of the parts are exactly the same as used in a Toyota. Until you want to purchase the part from a Lexus dealer - then expect to pay substantially more than from the Toyota dealer. The parts have different numbers, so you can't cross-reference them. Clever move, eh?

Then there's the Toyota dealers that refuse to work on Lexus, even though they'll gladly service the Buicks that they sold off their used car lot. Seems unfair.

My salesman implied that (since they own the Toyota dealership as well) that the company uses only its best mechanics at the Lexus dealership, and many customers who own other luxury cars have them serviced there. In fairness to the dealership, every problem or request I've had has been taken care of promptly and to my satisfacation. But their shop rates are higher than at their Toyota franchise. This is how they can give you that "free" loaner car and car wash.

The parts system is not that complicated. All Lexus parts come from Toyota. The same part number is used by both Toyota and lexus. For example rear pad set part #044466-33050 will show up in the Lexus parts system as a rear pad set for a 99-2001 RX 300. If entered in the Toyota system is shows up as a rear pad set for a Toyota Highlander 4 cyl. As long as you have the part # from lexus you can use it at Toyota if there is a Toyota model that uses the same part. This is not always the case. For example the 99-01 RX front pad set is not used on any of the Toyota models so the part # shows up invalid in the Toyota system. You need to do your homework on the many online parts sites before visiting the Toyota parts counter, otherwise he will just turn you away claiming you have a Lexus part number.

And, yes, the 'free loaner" is in reality the most expensive rental you will ever drive.