Es 97 - Squeaky Brakes When Cold

odessit

Hello,

The car makes really loud high pitch squeaks when backin out/applying brakes when it is cold. Supposedly makes the same noice when it is raining/wet (this is the wife's car so I have somehwat limited experience).

I did check the brakes few months ago and the pads looked like they have plenty of life left. Replaced front ones about 25K ago and rear about 10-15k ago.

Does anybody have similar issue?

At some point I was told that the noise is caused by condensation and there is nothing to worry about.

Any other opinions?

Thanks,

Alex

if it only happens the first few times when the brake is applied, then yes it is usually the distinct sound of surface oxidation being removed from the rotors by the brake pads.

Nothing to worry about.

If it happens every time you apply the brakes, then it may be a problem. Where your pads recently replaced with metallic pads?

steviej

Yeah, my brakes do the same thing. When it is damp out, they really squeak for the first few applications. Also, when it's cold. These are pretty new pads and I have been told by a lot of people that this is normal. (I wish it wasn't... it is embarrassing sometimes when I'm in a parking lot or something).

The pads were replaced a bout 12 months ago (rear) and 24 months ago (front).

I giess the noise is just part of life.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alex

if it only happens the first few times when the brake is applied, then yes it is usually the distinct sound of surface oxidation being removed from the rotors by the brake pads.

Nothing to worry about.

If it happens every time you apply the brakes, then it may be a problem. Where your pads recently replaced with metallic pads?

steviej

Mechanic said my rear brakes (organic) are the ones squeaking, and not the ceramics on the front. Might switch out the organics on the back w/ a higher quality brake in a few months... can't justify it right now, especially since I have 80% remaining on them. My old mechanic must have used a lower quality pad. <_< :angry: