Buying Advice For A Used Gs

I have grown tired of my 2000 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP. I'd need a 4 door sedan and liked the size of my GP, but I would really like rear wheel drive for a change. The Lexus GS series seems to fit the bill.

I am not entirely clear on what the different models are. I know the 300 is a 6 cyl, but what is different between a 400 and 430? I think I can only afford from a 1999 to 2001 model Are there any specifics I should know while shopping? Better or worse years or models to look for or to avoid? I have modified my GP up to about 300HP so I think I could only be happy with a V8.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

PS: 2000 GTP for sale in the Chicago area ;)

I have grown tired of my 2000 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP. I'd need a 4 door sedan and liked the size of my GP, but I would really like rear wheel drive for a change. The Lexus GS series seems to fit the bill.

I am not entirely clear on what the different models are. I know the 300 is a 6 cyl, but what is different between a 400 and 430? I think I can only afford from a 1999 to 2001 model Are there any specifics I should know while shopping? Better or worse years or models to look for or to avoid? I have modified my GP up to about 300HP so I think I could only be happy with a V8.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

PS: 2000 GTP for sale in the Chicago area ;)

The 400 and 430 are both V8's, one is just an earlier generation. The 2001 (which I have) 430 has 300hp and 315 lbs torque, I believe the latest 400's made had the same hp and slightly less torque. For me it was worth waiting for the right 430, 0-60 in 5.8 is plenty fast for me and it's fully loaded, with options you don't typically find on the average 300. Upside to 300's is that they can be easier to boost if you're into that. No such mods exist for any of the Lexus V8's. I had an SC400 before my GS430, and believe me, there are not any readily available performance mods for the V8's. Hard to come by, if at all.

I found a black on black 01 430, chrome 17" rim package, nav/mark levinson, all the goodies, and only 13k miles on it. The guy bought it as his third car and never drove it, I picked it up for $30k. That's higher than most 01 430's, but the car still SMELLED new and not the slightest scratch or ding. Car sat in his garage for 4 years. Find a 430 of any year with 13k miles on it for 30k, and that's not a bad deal.

Anyway, hope some of this helps. I'm not as technical as a lot of guys here, but this is just basic info.

Good luck on the search.

Thanks K!

I am really only wanting to spend $20K max if possible. I put very few miles on my cars since I have a work van I drive all day for work, so maybe I could find one with 80-90K for a reduced price. I hear that most of these cars are good for 200K if cared for.

MIKE

Looking on the web, I see the GS300s are a lot more plentiful and less expensive. Is the only difference the engine size?

I see some 300s with a rear spoiler, but not all like the 400s. Is there a package that had it or did you have to order it that way?

Thanks,

MIKE

Looking on the web, I see the GS300s are a lot more plentiful and less expensive. Is the only difference the engine size?

I see some 300s with a rear spoiler, but not all like the 400s. Is there a package that had it or did you have to order it that way?

Thanks,

MIKE

The only difference between the Gs300, Gs400 and Gs430 are engine size, and a few cosmetic features.

From 1993 - 1997, the first generation GS "look" was in production. In 1998, the new generation GS was introduced.

new designed GS300 & GS400 introduced

no change

no change

GS300 with few cosmetic changes (see below) & GS430 replacing GS400

no change

no change

no change

no change

ALL NEW DESIGNED GS300 & GS430

In 2001, there were a few cosmetic changes to the GS series. The steering wheel for the GS was changed to a newer and more curved look (still ONLY leather). The tail lights were also changed. The area around the gauge cluster was changed to a darker grey replacing the tan (just see a few pics). Also, a newer navigation was now an option? (not 100% sure if the pre-2001's had navi as option)

The GS400 looked EXACTLY the same as the Gs300, just had the different engine.

Also, the spoiler was "optional" for all 98+ years; only some have them. At this point since you're buying used, you just have to look for one that has it.

The GS430 was introduced in 2001, which included an even different engine than the GS400! The GS430 includes xenon headlights (athough available on the GS300 and GS400), a wood/leather steering wheel optional, and a wood/leather shift knob...there may be some other cosmetic differences, but these are the most obvious.

Basically, the GS300 and GS400 are the same except for the engine. Don't get the 400 unless you are "power hungry".

Get the GS430 if you like the extra luxury features such as the wood steering etc. If these things don't mean much to you, go the GS300 route. There is also a bit more power than the GS400...

We have owned 2 Gs430's (a 2003 and 2005) and they were great to us! Good luck with your decision! I would go with a 2001 GS430 over a 2002 GS300 even. Just my personal pref.