The End All Debate On Tires

EXTECH

HI GUYS- I HOPE THIS HELPS, AND LIKE ANY OTHER POSTING THIS IS MY OPINION THAT HAPPENS TO BE BASED LARGELY ON MY EXPERIENCES AS A MECHANIC FOR VW/AUDI AND THE CURRENT OCCUPATION I HAVE WITH A REKNOWNED COMPANY IN THE UNDERCAR (TIRES, WHEELS, ALIGNMENTS, BALANCING) WORLD AS AN EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER. I WILL REFRAIN FROM MENTIONING THE EXACT NAME THOUGH PLEASE KNOW THAT MY SUGGESTIONS ARE BIASED BY EXPERIENCE, NOT BRAND LOYALTY.

MICHELIN- IF YOU CAN AFFORD THEM THEN BUY THEM- THE END. THE TIRES THEY MAKE FOR THE VEHICLES MOST OF YOU GUYS DRIVE- LUXURY WITH MINIMAL NEED FOR OUTRIGHT PERFORMANCE (IE THE MXV4 PLUS) IS PROBABLY THE MOST CONSISTENTLY WELL PERFORMING, NICE RIDING, BALANCE FRIENDLY, TIRE I HAVE BEEN AROUND.

ARE THERE OTHERS? SURE. BRIDGESTONE MAKES SOME NICE TIRES THAT ARE A LITTLE MORE AFFORDABLE THAN MICHELIN. THE RE970 IS NICE BECAUSE IT OFFERS A LITTLE MORE ON THE PERFORMANCE SIDE THAN AN MXV4 AT A RATHER REASONABLE PRICE. IT MIGHT EVEN DO A LITTLE BETTER IN WET WEATHER AND PROBABLY ABOUT EQUAL IN FOUL WEATHER.

YOKOHAMA MIGHT GREAT ON A GS V8 (SPORT TIRE) THAT WILL SEE TWISTY ROADS AND HEAVY INPUT FROM THE DRIVER- RIDE WILL PROBABLY NOT BE THERE LIKE THE OTHERS BUT YOU SIMPLY CAN NOT HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO WITH TIRES- PERIOD. THEIR TOURING TIRES I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BUT YOKOHAMA IS NOT KNOWN FOR THAT TYPE OF TIRE REALLY ANY WAY.

GOODYEAR HAS A GREAT REPUTATION (DONT ASK ME WHY!!) BUT THEY HAVE A REAL HARD TIME MAKING A ROUND TIRE. I HAVE HAD MORE BALANCE PROBLEMS WITH GOOD YEAR (AKA- BIGO, KELLY SPRINGFIELD) THAN JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER TIRE OUT THERE. GOOD LUCK- DONT SAY I DIDNT WARN YOU.

BF GOODRICH IS MORE SO KNOWN FOR SPORT TIRES- NOT LUXURY.

DUNLOP- ONLY ON MY MOTORCYCLE. PERIOD.

KUMHO (TOP TEN LARGEST IN THE WORLD) ACTUALLY MAKES A PRETTY DAMN GOOD TIRE. NICE TO BALANCE, SOME MODELS OFFER GREAT PERFORMANCE AND THEY ALSO OFFER SOME GOOD LOOKING ALL SEASONS. TRUTHFULLY NOT A WHOLE LOT OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE BUT THAT I HAVE HAS BEEN VERY GOOD.

CONTINENTAL- IF THEY CAME STOCK THE PROBABLY WORE OUT UNDER 20K MILES OR THEY VIBRATED. DECENT TIRE BUT DEFINITELY NOT MY CHOICE.

SORRY GUYS THANKS IF YOURE STILL READING- IF YOU WANT TO GO FAST AROUND CORNERS YOUR TIRES WILL WEAR OUT SOONER, YOU WANT A SOFTER TREAD V-Z RATED, AND MAY WEAR ABNORMALLY. CHOPPING IN THE TREAD SAYS ONE OF THREE THINGS- WORN SHOCKS/STRUTS, TOO MUCH TOE IN OR OUT (HAVE YOUR ALIGNMENT CHECKED AND OR ADJUSTED SLIGHTLY TO ACCOMODATE A CHARACTERISTIC WEAR PATTERN.) OR LACK OF ROTATION. FOR A NICE SMOOTHER RIDE, LONG LASTING TIRE- S OR H SPEED RATING IS THE BEST WHILE H WILL STILL ALLOW SOME SPIRITED DRIVING.

GO FAST TIRES???? WHATEVER LOOKS GOOD AND FITS YOUR BUDGET FOR A NEW SET EVERY YEAR- HELL, TRY THEM ALL BECAUSE YOULL PROBABLY BE REPLACING THEM REGULARLY ANY WAY.

BE CAREUL WITH SAMS CLUB, SEARS, WAL MART, COSCO ETC. THEIR MICHELINS ARE NOT THE SAME AS ANY WHERE ELSE. HAVE A BLOWOUT AND THERES NO WALMART NEARBY- GUESS WHAT YOU CAN ONLY BUY A MATCH FOR YOUR WALLY WORLD TIRE AT WALLY WORLD. I HAVE DEALT WITH SEVERAL *BLEEP*ED OFF CUSTOMERS WHEN I TOLD THEM THAT I ABSOLUTE COULD NOT LOCATE A MATCH FOR THEIR BARGAIN PRICED TIRES EVEN IF I WANTED TO. IN SOME CASES THOSE TIRES ARE SECONDS OR "BLEMS" WITH MINOR IMPERFECTIONS. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. DONT GET ME WRONG THOUGH- ID TAKE A SAMS CLUB MICHELIN OVER ANY GOOD YEAR ANY DAY. THAT IS SOMEWHAT BIASED BUT MAINLY FROM EXPERIENCE AND FRUSTRATION.

REAGARDLESS OF WHAT TIRE YOU HAVE ONE THING STANDS TRUE FOR ALL- ROTATE YOUR TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY 5-6k MILES. YOU WILL SIGNIFIGANTLY ADD LIFE TO YOUR TIRES, PREVENT ODD WEAR PATTERNS FROM SETTING IN AND GET MORE FREE BRAKE INSPECTIONS THAT YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE. NO JOKE THAT IS THE CHEAPEST INSURANCE FOR ANY TIRE INVESTMENT.

THANKS, I'M SORRY, BUT TRULY HOPE IT HELPS.

Welcome to the club & thanks for your insight. Please in the future, do not type in all CAPITALS.....it's considered shouting.

You mention that your experence deals mostly with VW & Audi......there is quite a difference between them & Lexus vehicles all things considered. I think we can all agree (generally speaking) that Michelin makes very good (although expensive) tires & you make some good points for the other tires you have adressed, but I doubt it will be the (in your title of the thread)"The End All Debate On Tires".:whistles: Tire technology changes almost as fast as the auto industry itself so there will always be an abundant of choices out there depending on what you drive & considering Lexus offers everything from FWD, RWD, & AWD will greatly effect what tire an owner chooses, & the area (and weather conditions) they live to name only a couple.

I personally don't agree with all your 'findings' with regard to the other tire brands you mention (I'm sure other members will jump in as well on that) good or bad, but to each their own. Also there are quite a few tire brands you did not talk about.......so my guess is the tire debate will continue.... :whistles: B) why? Because I've said this dozens of times in these threads.....to this day, there is NO such thing as a perfect tire no matter what brand you purchase. ;)

You gave a very general outline, not specifics towards say winter/snow tires (most are 'winter' tires today, not snows) or summer rubber but mostly 'all seasons'. ;)

I agree with you 110% on the rotations however, not to mention maintainig the correct air pressure. B)

:cheers:

Yep, Lexusfreak is correct - the original post above contains a bit of common sense tire advice but should not be considered even remotely close to being a professional dissertation on tires. Tire quality can vary within manufacturers as much as it does among manufacturers. Certain plants seem to be able to build better tires than other plants owned by the same tire manufacturer, and that may have something to do with the experience and skill of the human tirebuilder at his workstation. Tire performance and lifespan are greatly dependent upon the vehicle, the application, the driving habits of the owner, the care provided by the owner, the general road conditions routinely driven upon, and some luck avoiding nails, screws, and other road debris as well.

The best tire advice? Do your homework thoroughly, ask questions, seek out technical information pertaining to the tires you're interested in, and find others who are knowledgeable about tires and better yet, take good care of their own. Proper tire selection and care can save your life in the event of a serious accident. Poor tire selection and negligence of care can kill you under those same conditions.

BE CAREUL WITH SAMS CLUB, SEARS, WAL MART, COSCO ETC. THEIR MICHELINS ARE NOT THE SAME AS ANY WHERE ELSE. HAVE A BLOWOUT AND THERES NO WALMART NEARBY- GUESS WHAT YOU CAN ONLY BUY A MATCH FOR YOUR WALLY WORLD TIRE AT WALLY WORLD. I HAVE DEALT WITH SEVERAL *BLEEP*ED OFF CUSTOMERS WHEN I TOLD THEM THAT I ABSOLUTE COULD NOT LOCATE A MATCH FOR THEIR BARGAIN PRICED TIRES EVEN IF I WANTED TO. IN SOME CASES THOSE TIRES ARE SECONDS OR "BLEMS" WITH MINOR IMPERFECTIONS. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. DONT GET ME WRONG THOUGH- ID TAKE A SAMS CLUB MICHELIN OVER ANY GOOD YEAR ANY DAY. THAT IS SOMEWHAT BIASED BUT MAINLY FROM EXPERIENCE AND FRUSTRATION.

I actually know for a fact that this is not true, at least for Costco, because I did a lot of research including calling Michelin customer care to make sure the MXV4s I bought at Costco were of the same quality as the ones I would purchase from any tire distributor. According to Michelin they are, and they don't sell seconds or blems to ANYONE for fear of tarnishing their reputation.

I have a road hazard warranty from Costco, but also the standard Michelin warranty from Michelin.

The evaluation of the different tire brands is very subjective and depends largely on past experience and third party input. I recently installed a set of Khumo ASX's on my GS430 and am very satisfied (smoother ride, much quieter, very little reduction in handling) especially with the price.

The comment about Sears, Costco and Sam's Club is simply not true. The tires they sell are all first line tires of the same quality that one would get at any other tire store. Sears sells some Michelins that are unique to them, but that's all. It feel much more confident with the customer support at Sam's and Costco than some of the big name store (Big O, Goodyear, Just Tires, etc.).

There are dozens of brands and hundreds of models for a reason.