Lower Control Arms/bushings And Struts

Canopy

96 LS 400 with 130,000 great miles.

Got good news and bad news from my brake specialty shop today. Good news, brakes are in good shape. Bad news, my right lower control arm bushing is worn out.

Then he showed me, by moving the car forward a couple feet, then putting on the brake and the front right wheel stuttered for an inch or two. The way he explained it, the car moved forward an inch while the wheel stopped. Or vice versa, I forget. Anyhow, it was scary. Driving it, however, we didn't notice a problem. It's only when you look at it, that you see it's a problem.

He doesn't do that kind of work so I trundled off in search of a good indy mechanic. The one who was recommended said it probably was a $1400 job by the time both lower control arms are replaced and that the struts ought to be replaced at the same time. He says that the worn out bushings are "not serviceable", you have to buy the entire control arm, and that only the dealer carries the lower control arms, at $250 each for two. The struts are about $85 each.

Does $1400 sound reasonable? Anything else that should be done with the front end while it's torn apart?

It's been a great car for the one and one-half years and 23,000 miles we've owned it, and, other than regular maintenance, this is the first actual repair job which has been done.

Comments would be appreciated.

post-15797-1140579537_thumb.jpgpost-15797-1140579547_thumb.jpgI have replaced all the control arms on my 95, which is identical to yours. I paid just shy of $1,600 for all the control arms, outer tie rods, struts and strut rods. Listen to bicol-ini's advice, he knows his stuff. Don't buy them at the dealership, you'll pay way too much for them. You want to order them online, and then take them to an indi mechanic shop. It's not that hard to replace them, I did the front of my car myself in a weekend. I'm a banker, not a mechanic either. It wasn't easy, but it's not impossible. I would figure a local indi at $65 an hour would probably cost you around $400 in labor to replace your lower control arms and struts. I would also consider replacing your strut rods too "the part that connects your lower arm to the car as well". I shop here: http://www.lexuspartsonline.com/

#4 is the lower control arm @ $190 each

#11 is the strut @ $60 each "you don't have air suspension right?"

#10 is the strut rods @ $92 each. However, that picture isn't right, that is the strut rod for the 90-94 model years, not the 95-00 models.

You may not need the strut rods. However, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you're going to replace your struts, that you also replace part #17 in the other picture "strut BUMPER" @ $13 each. I wish I had when I did all of my repairs, but simply forgot it.

The way he explained it, the car moved forward an inch while the wheel stopped.

That sounds a lot like strut rods to me. I'd have them checked before you have the lca's replaced as they are cheaper and easier to change. ;)