Starter Problem

mjfpilot

My wife was having problems starting the car. I was on a trip so she had a new battery installed. The car is still not starting well. When you turn the key, I hear a clicking noise near the starter. After turning the key about 3 to 4 times the engine turns over easily. The starting sequence is like this everytime the car sits for a period. I believe its the starter solenoid. Battery terminals are clean. Any help?

Mike fredrickson

I would have the battery AND the alternator tested to make sure they are 100%. Same symptoms can occur with a weak battery. Since you can get them tested for free, i would make sure i ruled out the obvious before i started contemplating removing the intake to replace the starter. Just a thought.

Time to replace the starter(solenoid is attached to it). My car is on its third starter (125,000 miles on my car). Just replaced last Sunday. It is nothing short of being a real b*tch. No easy way of putting. Each time my starter started to go out it started by exactly what your saying. Click click click start. The process will slowly get longer and longer until nothing. Either be prepared to drop about 1,000 for the dealership or about $250 out of your pocket and a good day of your time. If you do it yourself spend the extra $50 to $75 on the Denso starter. Do not short change yourself. I made that mistake last time and the starter lasted me only about 35,000 miles or so. My job requires me to start my car alot each day. Normal conditions I would say it would've lasted maybe 60,000 miles or so. Plus the Denso is what Lexus uses.

Anyone that has ever replaced there starter themselves really is wondering how a desinger would design some of the parts on the LS 400 engine. There is so many thing that could be changed and not cause one bit of problem.

I believe what the problem in the design(or really the location of the starter) is that copper ring that the plunger hits when you turn the key gets worn down quicker then normal beccause of the heat. I believe the copper get softer at a high temp. and breaks down quicker then normal when you restart your car at normal operation temp. Every time you turn your key this copper gets scored well after so many starts the copper breaks down. Well with the heat I think this process is sped up.

Here is a link to look at. Trust me it is much more work then it seems.

http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html

Have fun. :)