Es 250 Resto Complete - Stuff Available

tmaki

A couple of months ago I posted re: doing a restoration on my '91 ES 250. It is now nearly complete.

After a complete drivetrain replacement, front and rear bumper replacement, radio/console replacement, front seat, interior and some other exterior parts replacements, at this point I feel that there isn't anything I can't do on this car. The end result is very satisfying. Donor engine and trans are like new. I've got a couple of alignment issues to straighten out (replaced steering wheel and didn't quite get it repositioned correctly), but for the most part, it's almost like having a new car again.

For anyone anticipating such a task, you MUST have the factory service manual. Although in some cases Toyota has an interesting sense of humor in describing the steps involved, without that book it would be virtually impossible to do what I did. I did everything by the book, including pulling the main wiring harness. Everything was reassembled with the proper torque values and in the correct order.

There were so many small things that I did other than the drivetrain swap that I could fill a small book of my own with tips and shortcuts. Suffice it say that these cars are just not that hard to work on given the right tools, the right references, a little experience and ample time.

Yesterday, I even completely disassembled the headlight assemblies as the adjusters weren't operating correctly. Reassembled after freeing up and lubricating the adjuster mechanisms, and working perfectly.

(for sale items removed)

Please forgive if this isn't a proper place to inform about these. If inappropriate, please direct me to the appropriate place. (Please review the rules and guidelines on this forum for selling items. Pay particular attention to the specific rules in the Buy & Sell Forum.)

Thanks for the encouraging things I've read here over the last several months. It was quite a project, but I'll be able to happily drive this car for several more years.

T. Maki

Riverside, CA

Edited by steviej

• 2 weeks later...