Alternator Problem

porkie

• 2 years later...

Is it possible to change brushes on original alternator on es-300 1994. thanks

YES!

Really? How? My alternator died last January 2008 and left me stranded on the freeway. I replaced the Alternator, batter and battery cables the next day.

Today I cleaned my engine and the battery light came on. 50 miles later the lights started to dim and like magic when I parked and tried to restart the battery charge couldn't do it. I'm almost sure the brushes simply wore out. How do I change out the brushes. Any diagram, pictures or just instructions would be great.

You didnt get one from Kragens auto did you? I have had terrible luck with their alternators....

anyway here is a breakdown and price on brushes....

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0

by the way the brushes last a long time, mine went 9 years 140k miles and still were good when I replaced them. washing your engine down may have caused your problem. I would unhook the battery and clean all terminals on both the alternator and battery and see if your problem is fixed. If it is a Kragens battery, (junk) replace it with something better like Walmart brand or costco brand.

to troubleshoot the problem get a cheap VOM (volt ohm meter) and measure the output of the battery while the engine is running and stopped. While running the voltage should be around 14.5 volts DC and when the engine is stopped the battery should measure 12.5 volts approximately. If you are not getting 14 volts or more while the engine is running the alternator is blown, (regulator, brushes, commutator)

You didnt get one from Kragens auto did you? I have had terrible luck with their alternators....

anyway here is a breakdown and price on brushes....

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0

by the way the brushes last a long time, mine went 9 years 140k miles and still were good when I replaced them. washing your engine down may have caused your problem. I would unhook the battery and clean all terminals on both the alternator and battery and see if your problem is fixed. If it is a Kragens battery, (junk) replace it with something better like Walmart brand or costco brand.

to troubleshoot the problem get a cheap VOM (volt ohm meter) and measure the output of the battery while the engine is running and stopped. While running the voltage should be around 14.5 volts DC and when the engine is stopped the battery should measure 12.5 volts approximately. If you are not getting 14 volts or more while the engine is running the alternator is blown, (regulator, brushes, commutator)

AAAaazaarrrgggggg, Yup - it was from Kragen Auto parts! Crap. .....