Distributor O-ring

John G

I have a '93 SC300. I just replaced the alternator because of an oil leak from the distributor which is apparently a rather common problem. I tried to remove the plastic distributor cap by loosening the three captive bolts...they are definitely loose, but the cap won't budge. I don't want to harm the distributor cap, so is there some sort of "trick" to removing it or is it just stuck? it is not extremely dirty or caked with road gunge. Also, any info or suggestions for replacing the "O" ring seal?

As I remember from changing mine, the cap should come right off.

To replace the seal you will actually have to remove the distributor from the engine, not just the cap.

You will also need to take care to re-insert the distributor correctly and adjust the timing after the installation.

Let me know if you need more direction.

Tom

There's a big o-ring that seals the cap to the distributor. Over time it really sticks the two together. tap on it with a rubber mallet and should come loose.

Thank you for the info; I'll give it a try

As I remember from changing mine, the cap should come right off.

To replace the seal you will actually have to remove the distributor from the engine, not just the cap.

You will also need to take care to re-insert the distributor correctly and adjust the timing after the installation.

Let me know if you need more direction.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I realise that I have to remove the distributor to replace the O-ring. I just wanted to remove the cap to see the condition of the rotor and it wouldn't budge. Guess it's just stuck. I'll proceed with more force...

John