Burning Rubber Smell?

LexuSY

Hi all,

first would like to say that this site has always been helpful with my problems on the 98 lexus es300 i have. searching the symptoms of my problems seem to always give me the correct resolution.

here's my new problem: a few weeks ago i noticed that my car would smell like fuel when i started the car and i stood near it outside... inside, as i drove, it would start to smell slightly like burning rubber. so i searched and found that the valve cover gasket could be the problem. i thought this is probably correct since the toyota dealer that did my 90k service and timing belt package recommended that i change it along with my transmission pan gasket. ( i have no idea what these are...)

so today, i went back and got my regularly scheduled maintenance and said i would like my valve cover gasket and trans pan gasket changed as well. when i went to pick the car up, i started to drive away and got immediately on the freeway. the car then started to feel jerky... as though there were intermitent signs of acceleration .. then the check engine light came on.

is there anything that they can do while changing these gaskets that can cause a jerky drive? is this serious? I then parked my car at my destination (about 5 miles away) then turned the car off.. then tried to turn it back on, and the car would start and die immediately. i also searched the forums for this and am planning on getting motorvac service sometime this week. this symptom has happend to me before, but after changing the gaskets, it seems to be more severe of a idle and shutdown of the car when i try to start it.

i called the toyota dealer back and mentioned this and he said, maybe a hose came loose??? bring the car back tomorrow morning. should i be alarmed? am i safe to drive this back home tonight??? well.. just wanted some feedback from the knowledgeable members of this forum!

Welp, the best thing for you to do is get the code scanned so we can see exactly what is going on. AFA the symptoms, sure - not the gaskets themselves, but getting to them something could have been happened.

Vacuum leaks, wire / sensor falling off.

so i took my car back to the toyota dealer today and they fixed the issue in about 45 mins. they said hose #127 was loose causing a leak in the vacuum seal? oh well.. runs well and strong now and there's no smell. thanks!

no more check engine light right? Wut about the jerking n shutting off problem? All solved?

Tom

no more check engine light right? Wut about the jerking n shutting off problem? All solved?

Tom

no more check engine light and no jerking. the shutting off problem i have has to do with my iacv valve, or that's what the dealer said. and a search in these forums show that getting motorvac service will solve this issue. i haven't done it yet, but plan to this week or next. however, i haven't experienced the problem after getting service for gasket replacement and oil change. but we'll see...