Squeaky Serpentine Belt

My belt squeaks usually when it rains and I read this test and was wondering if it was just BS?

"Using a spray bottle filled with water, mist the belt lightly. If the noise level recedes for several seconds, then returns louder, a misalignment problem is likely. If the noise immediately increases after the belt is sprayed, slipping is likely... If the water spray test is inconclusive, or not successful at diagnosing the problem, attempt to remove the noisy belt and re-install it so that the belt runs in the opposite direction. Because misalignment noise is influenced by the direction of misalign ment in the drive, flipping the belt around in this manner will eliminate or significantly diminish (temporarily) any noise caused by drive misalignment. If the noise remains unchanged, the problem is not likely related to drive alignment... Also, look for replaced drive components, such as a rebuilt alternator, which may have been improperly installed resulting in pulley misalignment."

Sounds like a P.I.T.A. Replace the belt if it hasn't been done recently. You can check the condition of the belt by looking at the indicator, see the attached .pdf. If the ribbed side shows many cracks, that's also a bad sign. Carquest Auto Parts stores generally have a very good price on belts. Lexus MSRP is $71.26 on the belt.

Even good belts can squeak when wet. Make sure the plastic engine under cover is not missing.

Belt_Service.pdf