'99 With 125k?

chadmg7

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the vague question... my friend is thinking about purchasing a '99 ES with about 125,000 miles on it.

I have a '97 with 106,000, and I've had great luck so far, with only minor maintenance/repairs.

Do you think he could expect to get at least 50-75,000 more miles on this car? Was the sludge issue largely "fixed" in 99? His concern with buying a car with 125k on it is, obviously, repairs like the tranny. What are your thoughts on this? What things should he look for on this car (early problem detection, etc)? Common problems with a '99 around this mileage?

I have recommended the ES to him because I think it's such a fantastic car. To me, a Lexus with 125k miles doesn't mean a whole lot. They seem to be so darn reliable! :D

Start it with a clean slate. Do all possible preventative/scheduled maintenece except belt changes.

ASAP flush the transmission, flush the oil (Preff to a quality synthetic - Mobil 1 synthetic + Wallmart = 5 quarts for under $20.) & flush the cooling system.

The whole big list has been written so many times. But flush Transmission #1 oil #2 coolant #3.

If you're really smart, buy yourself an auxillary, or a large replacement stacked plate cooler for the transmission. If a '99 is like all the other A/T's you need a box of T-bolt fuel/oil hose clamps off ebay, a few feet of good 3/8" fuel/oil hose & the cooler.

While not giving you a transmission that will stand forever, > 90% of transmission failures are from old fluid, every time you overheat ATF you half it's lifespan (Consideirng most ATF fluid now is 3 years to never change it ever... You can see that's a huge deal.) & that transmission fluid rises in direct proportion to torque convertor speed when you accellerate. An ATF temp gauge will rise nearly exactly with RPM until the torque convertor locks.

Check previous records. Pretty normal oil change intervals & having the timing belt / water pump replaced @ 90,000 miles & atleast one coolant change. I would feel better with 2-3, but that's not the OEM spec for Toyota Red (Tho I feel it should be.)