'92 Sc400 Starts Then Dies Over And Over

I have been living with this starting problem for almost 2 years. I have no problem starting it but every time my wife or friend start the car it - starts perfect, runs for 3 seconds, then dies. You can the repeat this process as many time as you like, it does not matter if you hold the petal to the floor or dont touch, it starts runs 3 seconds then dies. The work around it to turn off the ignition 2 or 3 times then turn ignition on and wait a second or two then crank and keep rpm's just over idle. I am looking to sell the car and I need to find this fix because the rest of the car runs and looks great. Thanks for any help.....

The points inside the back of the key cylinder is worn. It is especially a problem on cars with owners who have or had heavy keys.

I did my father inlaws honda with a brand new peice with wiring harness and it was $100 which i find dirt cheap.

I have tryed 100's of times holding the key all ways to see if it made any differance at all but nothing ever changes of this pattern, let me restate that it always starts perfect everytime it just dies if the key does not stop for a second at the on positon before starting and pushing the gas just a little over an idle after startup. Does that still sound like a points problem? Thanks for you reply. Mike

The points inside the back of the key cylinder is worn. It is especially a problem on cars with owners who have or had heavy keys.

I did my father inlaws honda with a brand new peice with wiring harness and it was $100 which i find dirt cheap.

if someone starts it by turing the key fast from off to crank and dont touch the gas, 75% of the time it will die in 3 seconds. Once this happens nothing seems to stop the cycle of on/off except to turn off then to on then wait a second "like a relay or something is powering up all the way" then crank and give a little peddle.

if you turn on, wait, then crank but dont touch the gas it dies about 50% of the time. When it dies it like turning off the fuel pump or air in the line. Nothing like holding it to the floor or racing it for the 3 seconds help. It just dies.

SO if you push the gas it stays running?

Well, it could be a couple different things... could be a cold start injector problem, could be a fuel pump problem... Something wrong with the fuel injection system I would guess...

Since your problem goes away after start up you might not have any diagnostic codes but it doesn't hurt to check anyway.

C.jpg

Let me know if you can't find the check connector. It should be right on top of / in front of the intake manifold. Just use a piece of copper wire to connect the terminals TE1 and E1... No need for an SST.

When you get the code numbers let me know, I'll tell you what they mean.

Codes 12 and 31 together are normal. A code 12 means there is no RPM signal (duh, the motor isn't turning over during the test) A code 31 means there is no air flow meter signal (the engine is also not taking in any air during the test because it is off)

And yes, I did a copy paste from my other post for the check engine light. :P

-Dave

After your detailed update.

Sounds like your fuel pump has to get up to speed and is having problems.

You may have a clogged fuel pump which needs to be overcome when it is cold.

I would look at an electrical problem

either fuel pump or voltage related.

• 2 months later...

I have been living with this starting problem for almost 2 years. I have no problem starting it but every time my wife or friend start the car it - starts perfect, runs for 3 seconds, then dies. You can the repeat this process as many time as you like, it does not matter if you hold the petal to the floor or dont touch, it starts runs 3 seconds then dies. The work around it to turn off the ignition 2 or 3 times then turn ignition on and wait a second or two then crank and keep rpm's just over idle. I am looking to sell the car and I need to find this fix because the rest of the car runs and looks great. Thanks for any help.....

Have you found a solution to this problem? I had the exact same issue and found the solution.

• 1 month later...

I had a 91 honda accord that did the same thing and quickly got worse, the problem was a fuel pump relay, the way the mech. fond it was to tape a fuel pressure gage to the winsheild and monitor the pressure, the problem was speratic.