Gs400 And Ls400

nc211

Thinking about the future car for my soon to be wife. Seeing as how I've pretty much learned mechanics on my 95 LS400, I'm curious how different a GS400 is mechanically to repair? All got the same "clunk" noises and such in the strut rods? Are the engines pretty close to the same set up, if not exactly, minus the electronic throttle differences from my 95 to 98+ models?

The reason why I'm thinking GS400 over GS300 is that I'm very familiar with the 4.0 liter V8 engines, and the noises they make. Would like to share my expierences with this engine in the GS model.

Pretty much the same? give or take a few minor differences?

Yup.

I'm no Mechanic, but the engines are basically the same. Maybe a little difference in their ECUs based on driving style between the two cars. Obviously cramming that engine in the GS means less room to work under the hood.

As to the other parts: struts are struts, brakes are brakes, etc. It's pretty much the same between all cars, but there will be more design similarities shared with makes of the same brand. Many of the parts are shared or similar enough that what applies to the LS will likely apply to the GS.

The GS 400 is a sweet ride, but don't rule out the I6 in the 300 though. It's a strong engine, better fuel economy (now that we're getting back to $70 a barrel). Personally - I wouldn't buy my wife a V8. Her driving style doesn't necessitate it and she wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

Thanks amigo...I like those IS300's a lot too! But does that I6 engine sludge up like the V6's do sometimes? That's really my main concern, and with it being used and probably not being able to verify all the 3k oil changes intervals were met, that kind of concerns me about the 6 cylinder engines.

Thanks amigo...I like those IS300's a lot too! But does that I6 engine sludge up like the V6's do sometimes? That's really my main concern, and with it being used and probably not being able to verify all the 3k oil changes intervals were met, that kind of concerns me about the 6 cylinder engines.

thats a big negative, the sludge was only on some 4 and V6 toyota engines.

the 2jz-ge, is by far, the most rock solid engine on the market. with out frequent and repeated/constant abuse, its virtually unstoppable to 500K miles. i have seen more than a few 2Jz's with over 300K.

that said the 1uz-fe V8 is right there with it, or maybe slightly behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I was referring to the GS300 and not the IS300 (as you were looking at the GS 400 I thought you should also give the GS 300 a look). The GS300 has an I6 engine (same engine as the IS), but you don't have to worry about the sludge. That problem was strictly limited to the ES300 V6 (from 97-01 I believe).

My good friend has over 250K on his GS300 and it still drives like new.

The GS300 has an I6 engine (same engine as the IS), but you don't have to worry about the sludge. That problem was strictly limited to the ES300 V6 (from 97-01 I believe).

actually, the camry V6's those years, and the RX300's as well were all subject to this.

also the 3sfe I4 of the early/mid 90's.