Baby/car Seats In A Gs

Hello everyone,

I need to purchase a car to replace my worn out Benz. I have a daughter and the wife has one in the oven. I would really like to get into a GS, but I am concerned about rear seating and trunk space. The alternative being an SUV.

For those out there with small children (needing car seats), how practical is a GS? Do you wish you had a bigger car?

Curious.

Tinker

Tinker,

What kind of an SUV are you planning to get? My wife has a ML320 (similar in size to the MDX,RX300), and I think my GS300 has more room in the backseats. I'm 6'1 240, and when I have the seats back, my son's feet will touch the back of the seat. With the ML320, he does not fit. As for the trunk space, it is huge. I am able to fit two stollers, and a bunch of groceries. Plus, the rear doors open wide and allows more room to reach in to buckle up the youngsters. This is more difficult in a SUV, unless you are tall enough or nimble to get into the vehicle and buckle them up. OR unless you get something massive like a full size SUV. Good luck!

Hello everyone,

I need to purchase a car to replace my worn out Benz. I have a daughter and the wife has one in the oven. I would really like to get into a GS, but I am concerned about rear seating and trunk space. The alternative being an SUV.

For those out there with small children (needing car seats), how practical is a GS? Do you wish you had a bigger car?

Curious.

Tinker

If you are planning on an 06+ GS, then I don't know since I do not have one. ;)

If you are asking about a 98-05 GS, then car seats work fine. We've gone from rear facing baby seats to front facing child seats to boosters. They all work fine. We also have an MDX and there is more space in the leg area. This makes it easier to climb in and out with the kids in the seats. When we go anywhere casual as a family, we take the MDX since it does have more cabin space. I do run the kids to/from school or on errands and the GS works fine too.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Junior,

If I have to go with an SUV, I am leaning towards an Armada or the smaller Pathfinder. I want something that will pull a 5,000 lb. trailer.

Neo,

Yes I am looking to purchase used and in the 99 - 05 model years.

In terms of rear seat room, can you squeeze in 2 car seats and mom in the middle? My wife is skinny, but from the photos I 've seen, that might be tight??

Thanks again,

Tinker

Neo,

Yes I am looking to purchase used and in the 99 - 05 model years.

In terms of rear seat room, can you squeeze in 2 car seats and mom in the middle? My wife is skinny, but from the photos I 've seen, that might be tight??

It will be tight. Although doable, the center is not really meant for a passenger. If you are looking to have 2 carseats with your wife in the middle (especially for any amount of extended time), I would say the GS is not big enough. We have 2 kids and 2 seats too (down to one now :) ) and it worked for us within its space limitations. It is a sports sedan after all. ;)

If you want a nice sports sedan that can pass for a limited family car, the GS is great. If you want a more family oriented car, I'd suggest looking at some SUVs and minivans (no joke). We have been looking at an 06 Sienna Limited for my wife to replace/supplement (not sure which yet) the MDX. Pretty nice vehicle with all the family necessities. :D

We have one regular car seat and one booster seat in the back, and we have put a person in the middle as well. but usually someone smaller like my wife. I've thought about pushing the booster to the middle and having the third adult sit next to the window, but we don't need the space usually since there are just the 4 of us.

I've been pleasantly pleased with the amount of space in my car. I even picked up an 8 ft curtain pole (3" diameter) and it fit easily in my cabin, with room to spare and not in jeapardy of breaking anything. Lots of trunk space, we took a trip to Iowa and had tons of room for all our luggage, and then some.

It's a breeze getting my kids in and out of my car, I think it is easier than my wife's RX330, even though hers is higher.

For me it's the perfect car, having two kids. Lots of space (I had an SC prior to my GS430), looks great (blk on blk), all the options (nav), plenty of power, and fast (enough to be fun).

Only other car I may own is a M5 or high-end 5 series, to get more performance and still have the sedan space. (If I can afford an M5, I don't care about reliability expenses, so don't bash me with the BMW feedback - I have only Lexus's in my stable).

Edited by knmaynard

Tinker,

In your case, you're better off getting a SUV. The MDX is an excellent choice. I don't know too much about the Armada or Pathfinder but you can't go wrong with an Acura or Lexus. Like Neo suggested, a Sienna is another excellent option. My sis have the top of the line Sienna and it is awesome! Great family car. I'm thinking of sell my wife's ML320 for a MDX. Happy hunting...

If you go the MDX route, I'd suggest an 04+ model if you are not buying new. There were some tranny issues with the earlier years. The 04 was also a refresh year with the body and interior.

Otherwise, if you do not have minvan stigma ;), I'd reiterate the Sienna.

I've got three boys (8,5,2). With car seats there is enough width, but leg room is limited. If you have medium to large adults in the front, the back leg space will be limited. Expect lots of footprints on the back of your front seats.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend. The GS is Dad's car, the family uses a Suburban. It can be done, but I would do it often. Two is OK, three, no way.