Backing Up

greenwich_rage

I just bought a new 2005 Lexus GX470 a few months ago, and I have a hard time backing up. If you put the car into reverse without stepping on the gas, the car barely moves, since the power is so low. Therefore if you want to move, you really have to gun the gas, which makes the car jump backwards. The speed is therefore very hard to control, making parallel parking very difficult. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

I just bought a new 2005 Lexus GX470 a few months ago, and I have a hard time backing up. If you put the car into reverse without stepping on the gas, the car barely moves, since the power is so low. Therefore if you want to move, you really have to gun the gas, which makes the car jump backwards. The speed is therefore very hard to control, making parallel parking very difficult. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

I have an '06 GX and I've never had this problem. You may want to check with your dealer.

Thanks.

I had an 05 GX and now a 06 GX. I've never had the problem in either one. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is needed.

If anything, my '06 seems to idle/coast a but too quickly for me, in either forward or reverse. It makes creeping into my tight garage space kinda tricky. I take my foot off the brake and the car wants to take off! The engine idle speed is pretty high (1400-1500 rpms) compared to other cars I've owned that idled at about 800 rpms.

1400-1500 rpms is too high for normal idle, is this the RMP during or after the engine warms up? My GX idles at arounf 700-800 after it warms up.

Mine idles 600-700 rpms when warm. 1200-1400 only at initial start-up.

Thanks.

Nope, backing is not a problem for me either. Though, I cannot remember the last time I had to parallel park.