Security Code In Cd Changer?

usma09

I own a 1992 ES300, with the stock trunk-mounted Pioneer CD changer. The original changer is on the blink (wouldn't even load or unload the CD cartridge), so I bought a used (1994) unit from a junkyard. Well, it does load and unload the cartridge, and it appears that it even tries to load and play a CD, but it gives the dreaded "Err" message after about 15 seconds of trying. (No, I don't have the CD upside-down.)

Before I send it back to the "yard" in exchange for another, is it possible that the CD changer has a security code inside which is preventing its operation? I don't think so; I believe that the radio control head is the brains of this outfit, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something, however unlikely.

Thanks,

Vince

I own a 1992 ES300, with the stock trunk-mounted Pioneer CD changer. The original changer is on the blink (wouldn't even load or unload the CD cartridge), so I bought a used (1994) unit from a junkyard. Well, it does load and unload the cartridge, and it appears that it even tries to load and play a CD, but it gives the dreaded "Err" message after about 15 seconds of trying. (No, I don't have the CD upside-down.)

Before I send it back to the "yard" in exchange for another, is it possible that the CD changer has a security code inside which is preventing its operation? I don't think so; I believe that the radio control head is the brains of this outfit, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something, however unlikely.

Thanks,

Vince

No code needed this time around, The ERR is a misaligned laser, So it does not read the disk. Bummer. Get another one. Your hunt will end up with one that works and then one day you will be back to this original thread. Get a 96 changer it will fit, At least you will have gained 4 years of operation. Good Luck

dcfish,

I'm pretty handy with electronics (discrete electronics, anyway). Is there a way to realign the laser?

Not without diagnostic equipment and a bench test setup for that unit.