2000 Es 300 Fueling Problem

I recently have been having a problem filling the gas tank. This occurs no matter what level the gas quantity is at as I wish to fill the tank. The fuel rises in the filler pipe and triggers the shutoff of the pump handle after about 1 quart of fuel is pumped. The gas then drops from the filler pipe to the tank and I can pump another quart. The car has 101,000 K and I'm the original owner and sole driver and there has been no other problem with this car. A competent repair facility dropped the tank, confirmed all lines were clear and examined all the components and found nothing out of order. They consulted Lexus and were told they had no previous incedence of this problem with another Lexus. The technition who worked on my car is baffled and I was not charged due to their inability to repair the problem. I had consulted two Lexus dealers a week earlier and they also had no previous complaint of this type as well. Any information provided by someone who actually resolved a problem of this type would be appreciated.

I don't know. Best I can tell you is download the FSM, & check how the fuel tank, fill neck, and EVAP system on your car works.

You are getting gas at different stations right? I've encountered a lot of pumps that will do that & need servicing, or whatever.

I recently have been having a problem filling the gas tank. This occurs no matter what level the gas quantity is at as I wish to fill the tank. The fuel rises in the filler pipe and triggers the shutoff of the pump handle after about 1 quart of fuel is pumped. The gas then drops from the filler pipe to the tank and I can pump another quart. The car has 101,000 K and I'm the original owner and sole driver and there has been no other problem with this car. A competent repair facility dropped the tank, confirmed all lines were clear and examined all the components and found nothing out of order. They consulted Lexus and were told they had no previous incedence of this problem with another Lexus. The technition who worked on my car is baffled and I was not charged due to their inability to repair the problem. I had consulted two Lexus dealers a week earlier and they also had no previous complaint of this type as well. Any information provided by someone who actually resolved a problem of this type would be appreciated.

the guys who dropped your tank, did they check the black plastic valve on top of the gas tank?

I have seen it stuck closed causing gas not to fill up, I think the valve is called an ORVR valve, what it does is it vents the fuel vapor created during refueling into you charcoal canister via a balck plastic line.

another quick check you can do is to disconnect that line at the charcoal canister and try to pump gas into the

tank, if the tank fill up with no problem then you have a clogged valve on the charcoal canister side.

hope this help.... :cheers:

the guys who dropped your tank, did they check the black plastic valve on top of the gas tank?

I have seen it stuck closed causing gas not to fill up, I think the valve is called an ORVR valve, what it does is it vents the fuel vapor created during refueling into you charcoal canister via a balck plastic line.

another quick check you can do is to disconnect that line at the charcoal canister and try to pump gas into the

tank, if the tank fill up with no problem then you have a clogged valve on the charcoal canister side.

hope this help....:cheers:

My contour did this too. all cars made after like 1990 have a flapper valve on the fuel filler neck that closes in the event of a rollover. if it has stuck half closed, it will cause the filler neck to fill before it can drain into the tank causeing the pump to shut off.

• 7 years later...

hope this help....:cheers:

My contour did this too. all cars made after like 1990 have a flapper valve on the fuel filler neck that closes in the event of a rollover. if it has stuck half closed, it will cause the filler neck to fill before it can drain into the tank causeing the pump to shut off.

Thanks for the question on refueling. I have a 2001 ES 300 and is experiencing the same issue. I will followup on the two possibilities suggested.

I am not sure if this link can help you will Fueling problem, http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72483 Toysrme suggested to download the FSM, I agree. But after you wrote that " A competent repair facility dropped the tank, confirmed all lines were clear and examined all the components", found to be good. Let us know if you found the correction action for this problem. Thanks