Radiator Leak--bad!

I have an SC 400 --1992. It has developed a really bad radiator leak! I fill the resevoir and the light comes on within 10 miles! I cannot figure out how to open the radiator itself and make sure it is full. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

SC00010.jpg

The radiator cap is the little shiny piece with the yellow sticker on top in the front driver side just in behind of the bumper. If you are not seeing fluid on the ground or motor anywhere, then it may be getting burned up in the motor indicating a real serious problem. Is the car smoking when it is driven? If not, then check all lines and hardware for leaks. It is possible the fluid was really low and is just getting taken in. That is why the level is dropping out. Just fill it until the level does not drop after driving (when the motor is cold only).

D'oh. :blushing:

It's SC400 not a 300. :unsure:

What the? :blink: I'm losing my mind here.

Look for leaks on the system everywhere and keep a check on the ground where parked and stuff.

I just wanted to show off my motor. ;) Checking to make sure you guys are paying attention.

I'll think of a few more excuses later. :lol:

Also, check your oil for any water bubbles.

If you take out your oil dipstick and look on the tip, there should be nice clean oil (if you change frequently enough)

If you see any bubbles in the oil, your headgasket's gone and that's why you keep losing coolant.

Good luck.

if your leak is that bad and the water is getting in to the motor the oil should be brown and junk looking. also check your trans oil cus ive fixed a car that lost a lot of fluid that was getting in to the trans where from ??? do you ask? well it got in from the radiator where the trans oil cooler and coolant are cooled. i guess from old age it coroded and went in

• 1 year later...
I have an SC 400 --1992.  It has developed a really bad radiator leak!  I fill the resevoir and the light comes on within 10 miles!  I cannot figure out how to open the radiator itself and make sure it is full.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Just to let you know. I have a 93 SC300, 60k and just had to have the radiator replaced! They told me it was leaking in the seams. Cost $330 to replace, Merry Christmas you ain't getting no gift from me this year! lol

Just something to check.