Really Off Topic...

W201 sweden

If you don't mind: ;)

Parked next to my -95 LS 400, my -91 MB 190E 2.6 Sportline seems to long for some TLC.

- I have considered selling it, to buy a better car for winter use. (a mid size FWD hatch back, like SAAB or AUDI). Cabin and luggage space is not big in the 190.

- I have also thought about making some performace improvements to it, like larger brakes (from some fast W124 model) and perhaps a more powerful engine. (It is time for a big brake job anyway, so there will not be much extra cost to upgrade.)

- The last (and easiest) alternative is to just keep it in a factory standard set up, accepting the car for what it is.

Do you people have any good ideas for me?

BTW, don't tell me to trade it for a IS 200! I've just bought the LS, and I do not plan to trade my trusty MB for one more car of a brand, that I have no personal experience from yet.

/Alexander from Sweden

Nah man, don't trade it for the IS200.....get the IS330 instead! Hahaha...just kidding.

It's really up to you what you want to do with the MB. It's getting up there in age, so you know whatever money you put into it, expect to get maybe 10 cents on the dollar back if you decide to sell it after you've upgraded it. If it were me, and seeing as now you're an LS owner...I'd just leave it in her standard oem set-up and fix what needs to be replaced due to normal wear and tear. As you know, I'm not experienced with MB "although I love the 98+ 300e". So I can't really offer proven advice. But on the financial side, I can offer advice. If you fix her up, then assume you'll keep her until those upgrades wear out...or be in a position to accept the loss financially. From what I understand, MB's are good cars to upgrade as you tend to see many older models running around. There must be something to that fact... ;)

If you don't mind: ;)

Parked next to my -95 LS 400, my -91 MB 190E 2.6 Sportline seems to long for some TLC.

- I have considered selling it, to buy a better car for winter use. (a mid size FWD hatch back, like SAAB or AUDI). Cabin and luggage space is not big in the 190.

- I have also thought about making some performace improvements to it, like larger brakes (from some fast W124 model) and perhaps a more powerful engine. (It is time for a big brake job anyway, so there will not be much extra cost to upgrade.)

- The last (and easiest) alternative is to just keep it in a factory standard set up, accepting the car for what it is.

Do you people have any good ideas for me?

BTW, don't tell me to trade it for a IS 200! I've just bought the LS, and I do not plan to trade my trusty MB for one more car of a brand, that I have no personal experience from yet.

/Alexander from Sweden

Buy a used turbo off some i4 turbo. (Yall oughta have zillions of SAAB/VOLVO's using t3's, or mitsu turbo's)

Weld up a new exhaust manifold, turbo the SOB. Throw in some form of piggyback to control ignition / fuel & you're fine.

SMT6 + extra injector<s>.

If you've got a M/T, be ready to throw a better clutch in it, if you have an A/T use synthetic fluids & install an aux. cooler.

Thanks for the replies!

Turbo? :D

Sure, I've had 3 turbo SAABs, both std. and with some performance mods. Ahhh, as the pressure builds up... B)

But it involves a LOT of work, and the engine bay is already cramped, with an inline 6.

Not much room for I/C and pipe work, although it CAN be done.

A 220hp M104 24-valve slips right in, replacing the 160hp M103 - and the annual inspection would be a breeze.

I guess I'm more on to the path suggested by nc211, but I'm still open to all ideas!

/Alexander

I guess I'm more on to the path suggested by nc211, but I'm still open to all ideas!

/Alexander

I've had several Benzes in the past. The 190 2.6 Sportline is a GREAT car. Although many criticized MB's entry into the small car market - they did it right. The only better version of the 190 is the 2.3-16 Valve or 2.5-16 Valve and those are relatively rare on the used market. So are sportline editions. I still see plenty of older 190 (and other MB models) on the road so you shouldn't have to worry about keeping it running, but - like all things mechanical - you have to put the maintenance into it to keep it running right.

Here's what I would do - You already have a larger RWD car in the Lexus so I would consider putting the sportline on the market. If there are any outstanding mechanical issues on the Sportline then fix them, but leave it in the factory setup as most people will want it that way. Your 190 will command a premium with any MB enthusiast based on the fact that it is a Sportline. Any tuners would want to make their own upgrades and you would lose money on the upgrades anyway when you sell the car.

Forget FWD what you should get is AWD. It's better in the snow and all around. You should be able to find a nice Audi A4 (wagon if you need the space) w/ quattro to drive in the winter. I realize the A4 isn't a MB, but it is a good sporty small car and you have the Lexus to replace the benz for comfort driving. Besides - if you get the 1.8t engine there are tons of HP upgrades and mods for that car to take you close to 275 - 300 HP onthe stock block setup.