Rx 400h Versus Rx 330 Decisions

If you ever had second thoughts about why you bought a RX 400h instead of the RX 330……this may help!

Last week my RX 400h required the 5,000 mile free maintenance service. I drove down to my local Lexus dealer (35 miles) and was given a loaner to drive while the service was being performed. They told me to wait outside until they brought the loaner around the front of the building. I had no idea what type of car I was going to get for my replacement and was very surprised when they drove up with a brand new RX 330 in the same color as my 400h. (Millennium Silver) It was pretty much the same except I have black interior instead of the grey. There were all the same options, but no navigation system on the loaner.

My first impressions were “THIS DOES NOT FEEL LIKE MY CAR” and it doesn’t drive or perform like it either! The first thing you will notice is the steering feels much different and so does the shifting of the transmission. Once you get use to the CVT transmissions, the regular shift action is annoying. The 400h has excellent acceleration and a more powerful feel to it.

I decided to drive back home and wait for the Lexus dealer to call when my car was ready. It was raining and traffic was heavy with some stop and go, but a good mix of highway and city traffic driving. I decided to reset the mileage computer and check my trip mileage before returning to the dealer. I was going to make a mileage comparison between the two cars just for my curiosity. I drove both cars the same way with road conditions and traffic being the same in every way. This was strictly an UNSCIENTIFIC test using the cars onboard computers for a round trip of 70 miles. AND the results from my unscientific tests are!!! …the RX 330….16.9mpg and the RX 400h….26.9mpg. I realize the 330 was new and the mileage may improve, but a 10 mpg difference????

Before we bought the RX 400 we were considering the RX 330, but now I am very please we made this decision ….it was the right choice for us. ;)

While a former coworker was averaging 16 MPG in her RX330, we average 25 MPG in mixed driving. Still, even if gas mileage isn't an issue, the power, transmission, and silence when creeping along in a typical traffic jam more than makes up for the additional funds to purchase this vehicle. Some people actually think that the 330 and 400 are identical except for gas mileage. Nothing could be further from the truth.