Rattle Or Knocking Noise At Cold Startup

Has anyone experienced a rattle or knocking noise first thing in the morning when you first start the RX400h and the gas engine come on? I have noticed this on ocassion, but it seems to go away after the engine warms up. I had the dealer look over the engine a few weeks ago and they could not find anything that appeared to be loose.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you are using 87 octane gas it is possible that you need to go up a grade. I have been using 87 octane in Seattle and have not experienced any knocking.

Thanks. Using 89 octane Mobil. It's not that kind of noise, it's like metal-on-metal knocking together.

i had that problem with my old explorer on cold startup, it was a timing chain problem. after sitting overnite on cold startup there would be a ten second rattle like marbles in the engine until it was lubed. i dont know if this is your issue, it was a known problem in 99 ford explorers with the v6

i had that problem with my old explorer on cold startup, it was a timing chain problem. after sitting overnite on cold startup there would be a ten second rattle like marbles in the engine until it was lubed. i dont know if this is your issue, it was a known problem in 99 ford explorers with the v6

Thanks. That's very interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. That's very interesting!

it might be your injectors ticking, they have the same problem on the 330's