I Need Your Expert Advice

brettb

So i just recently bought a green 90 lexus ls400 with 121,000 for $2500. The car was a great deal and i couldn't pass on it. Obviously it has some problems. For one, the radio, defroster, heat, AC, the whole section doesn't work. Which could mean there's something wrong with the wires. Also, the car sounds like its not running on all cylinders which i think i need to get new spark plugs. I would like some advice on how to maintain my lexus and anything that i need to look out for. Thanks

So i just recently bought a green 90 lexus ls400 with 121,000 for $2500. The car was a great deal and i couldn't pass on it. Obviously it has some problems. For one, the radio, defroster, heat, AC, the whole section doesn't work. Which could mean there's something wrong with the wires. Also, the car sounds like its not running on all cylinders which i think i need to get new spark plugs. I would like some advice on how to maintain my lexus and anything that i need to look out for. Thanks

Start here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4 and read all of the PINNED topics first. Aclimate yourself with these forums and especially learn how to use this function: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&f= after that you should have specific questions. Most of which you will find answered by using this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&f= OK Now your getting used to how this works. Enjoy all the info that so many dedicated members have compiled Just for you. Merry Christmas.

:cheers:

And by the way congratulations on your new LEXUS and welcome to the club :cheers:

You might be wishing you did pass on the car if you find out it might cost $5,000 - $10,000 to restore it to mechanically reliable condition.

Mechanically, a 10-15 year old LS400 is a money trap unless they have been meticulously maintained and relatively gently driven since the day they were brand new. Typically such cream puff LS400's will command a price of $7000 - $12,000 and they're worth it for the owner who wants and needs reliable transportation.

If, on the other hand, you have another reliable car and bought the LS to try and gradually fix up in your spare time then dcfish's links will get you started. Just hope and prey the engine doesn't have permanent damage like low compression on some cylinders. The best do-it-yourself tutorials can be found at lexls.com

For one, the radio, defroster, heat, AC, the whole section doesn't work. Which could mean there's something wrong with the wires.

start with checking the fuses, all of them, as many times multiple fuses are involved with multiple accessories.

steviej

For one, the radio, defroster, heat, AC, the whole section doesn't work. Which could mean there's something wrong with the wires.

start with checking the fuses, all of them, as many times multiple fuses are involved with multiple accessories.

steviej

even if they dont look bad, i would replace them. fuses can be bad without looking bad.

and monarch, who in the HELL would pay $7,000 for a gen 1 LS4 when they can get a gen II with 80K for 10-12?

even in the BEST, most pristine condition, a 90 LS4 should only run $4,000...MAX.