Newbie Looking For Feedback

JMc

Hi!

I think I might be interested in buying a 2002 SC 430. I'm really wanting a coupe that can covert easily to a roadster, and I personally love the styling of this vehicle, despite a lot of negative comments I've seen both in the press and from other aqauintences about it. Phooey on them.

I was originally looking into buying a Mercedes SLK 32 AMG -- until I took one for a test drive and discovered that there wasn't enough seat fore/aft adjustment to let me adjust the seat to a comfortable position. I loved the performance, but visibility was poor and my lower back was beginning to hurt after the test drive.

It seems to me that the SC 430, in addition to probably having better legroom, is a much finer car in almost every respect. The interior appointments and performance remind me much more of my Jaguar S Type, which my wife and I absolutely love, whereas the Benz was rather spartan in comparison. So I think that the SC 430 is going to satisfy all my needs and wants with aplomb.

If there are any "gotcha's" or surprises that I wouldn't normally be aware of, or service issues or known defects or anything like that, I'd sure appreciate any advice or feedback you could impart.

Lastly, is it possible to find a clean, albeit higher mileage example for $30k or under? Or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

The only thing I can think of that you should keep in mind is that with a hard top convertible that the trunk is already a bit small and when the top is down, you lose it pretty much completely. Other than that, Hardtop convertibles are awesome and the SC 430 is no exception. I have driven about 4 so far and I enjoy them very much. It is a little too small of a car for myself, and the virtual lack of backseats annoy me a little, but that is just me and my lifestyle. I really don't think i have been in another vehicle that provide the jaw-kicking acceleration and speed like a sports car and still be incredibly comfortable ride that only a luxury car can provide.

So far I am not very impressed with Mercedes Benz vehicles. It seems like they are a love em or hate em car. The only one i really like is the SLR Mclarhen, but that is a 400k vehicle and plenty out of my range.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate it. I know what you mean about the rear seat. It's preposterous. I would almost rather have no back seat at all, and just better legroom, which I'm not sure is an issue, anyway. One of our other cars is a Jaguar S Type that features similar performance, many of the same interior comfort and convenience features, and back seats that ar marginally more useful, but our kids don't like sitting back there, either. Fortunately, we're just getting past the minivan/SUV stage in our lives and no longer need a large vehicle to haul our kids around in. Two of them are driving and the youngest doesn't get a vote.

I'm a little concerned that you feel the 430 is too small for you. I'm an XL guy and I know I wasn't going to be comfortable in cars like the Benz SLK. I felt way too cramped and shoe horned in. I was expecting (hoping) that the 430 would have more lateral and fore/aft room at the driver's seat. I don't really care about the trunk space.

If the SC 430 doesn't seem like it's going to work for me though, I'm just going to give up and buy a C5 Corvette convertible.

Go for the SC 430, it has plenty of room. Im pretty sure the back seat thing was to put the SC 430 into a different inssurance class or enable Lexus to get around a few roadblocks(don't remember). If you don't want to be cramped I wouldn't suggest the C5, or any Vett. They are sports cars and were not desgined for room and confortabilty being the highest priority. The C5 will have alot stiffer suspension also. Given the 430 has a decently hard suspension compared to other Lexus's ive been in. It still rides very nice. I think if you want to be happy with your buy your gonna have to spend at least 35-45k on the car.

I just purchased a 2002 SC430 (certified pre-owned)... it's a beautiful car and the hardtop cannot be beat! Nothing is as solid and as elegant as this car in the price range. I got it with under 10k miles with the CPO warranty of 3 yrs/100k bumper to bumper for very low 40s

• 2 years later...

Any one got an owners manual as PDf file ( 2004 SC430) . I just bought it over the weeked and it didn't come with an owners manual.

Thanks,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate it. I know what you mean about the rear seat. It's preposterous. I would almost rather have no back seat at all, and just better legroom, which I'm not sure is an issue, anyway. One of our other cars is a Jaguar S Type that features similar performance, many of the same interior comfort and convenience features, and back seats that ar marginally more useful, but our kids don't like sitting back there, either. Fortunately, we're just getting past the minivan/SUV stage in our lives and no longer need a large vehicle to haul our kids around in. Two of them are driving and the youngest doesn't get a vote.

I'm a little concerned that you feel the 430 is too small for you. I'm an XL guy and I know I wasn't going to be comfortable in cars like the Benz SLK. I felt way too cramped and shoe horned in. I was expecting (hoping) that the 430 would have more lateral and fore/aft room at the driver's seat. I don't really care about the trunk space.

If the SC 430 doesn't seem like it's going to work for me though, I'm just going to give up and buy a C5 Corvette convertible.