Well, Looks Like I've Joined The Club

Mister-Z

You may remember me from last week, I posted for advice about wether or not I should buy this car and generally can't make a post less than four paragraphs long :rolleyes:

Well, after much toil and consideration I decided that it was probably about as good a deal on any Toyota that I was going to find around here in my price range (I'm sure monarch is rolling his eyes :P ).

I bought it last night, just got the first of what will probably be much work done today. The car would groan a little in reverse, I figured it was probably the nasty transmission-sludge that the previous owner had left in the car. I had the trans. flushed and it now shifts very cleanly. That CV boot isn't making any noise yet, not that I'm going to waste any time on it but still a good thing. It runs very quietly, except for a slight rattling noise when between 1500 and 1750 rpm, the noise gets less noticable when the car is warmed up.

The glove compartment was stuffed with records, so I've got a pretty good idea on what's been fixed lately and what's in need. I've got a pretty decent list of repairs to be done (wouldn't know these problems existed from the way it drives - glad I had it inspected!) but I think once they're done I'll have myself a pretty good car :D

And if not, well, at least it tried B)

You may remember me from last week, I posted for advice about wether or not I should buy this car and generally can't make a post less than four paragraphs long :rolleyes:

Well, after much toil and consideration I decided that it was probably about as good a deal on any Toyota that I was going to find around here in my price range (I'm sure monarch is rolling his eyes :P ).

I bought it last night, just got the first of what will probably be much work done today. The car would groan a little in reverse, I figured it was probably the nasty transmission-sludge that the previous owner had left in the car. I had the trans. flushed and it now shifts very cleanly. That CV boot isn't making any noise yet, not that I'm going to waste any time on it but still a good thing. It runs very quietly, except for a slight rattling noise when between 1500 and 1750 rpm, the noise gets less noticable when the car is warmed up.

The glove compartment was stuffed with records, so I've got a pretty good idea on what's been fixed lately and what's in need. I've got a pretty decent list of repairs to be done (wouldn't know these problems existed from the way it drives - glad I had it inspected!) but I think once they're done I'll have myself a pretty good car :D

And if not, well, at least it tried B)

Welcome and Congratulations :cheers: I also own a 93 ES and you will find the car is built like a tank, Once you get the repairs done I am sure that you will enjoy the car for a long long time. Keep us posted.

Mister-Z:

I'll congratulate you if you'll congratulate me :cheers:

I bought my '93 ES300 last week and I'm loving it! Other than a few bulbs that needed replacements, everything works great and the exterior and interior are quite immaculate. I drove an '89 chevy cavalier for 8 years so it was a complete culture shock to make a such step up into an awesome car like the Lexus - so smooth, quiet, and luxurious, without being overly ostentatious.....just classy!

Congratulations, Lexucan :) I'm glad you found such an awsome deal.

My interior is not so immaculate, small stuff tho still looks good for the most part. I drove an '88 Chevy Celebrity for 3 or 4 years (it was immaculate when I got it, and utterly worthless when I got rid of it for $25). After driving that car straight into the ground, I learned what it was like to roll in a total POS and what car care was worth. I bought a really nice '01 Mazda 626 and have driven it for a little over a year - and taken care of it!! I felt bad about ruining that first car and never intend to do so again. But in order to afford an apt/school, I need a cheaper car . . and along came the ES 300.

I'll miss my mazda, but I'm feeling good about this ES B) cheers to the new owners of old cars!

Edited by Mister-Z

Congratulations, Lexucan :) I'm glad you found such an awsome deal.

My interior is not so immaculate, small stuff tho still looks good for the most part. I drove an '88 Chevy Celebrity for 3 or 4 years (it was immaculate when I got it, and utterly worthless when I got rid of it for $25). After driving that car straight into the ground, I learned what it was like to roll in a total POS and what car care was worth. I bought a really nice '01 Mazda 626 and have driven it for a little over a year - and taken care of it!! I felt bad about ruining that first car and never intend to do so again. But in order to afford an apt/school, I need a cheaper car . . and along came the ES 300.

I'll miss my mazda, but I'm feeling good about this ES B) cheers to the new owners of old cars!

'93 ES300 owner here, too!

These are GREAT buys as "previously enjoyed" (dealer slang for used) cars. The BEST way to buy a car = let someone else pay the full up-front price and take the biggest depreciation hit for the first couple of years - then buy it used and enjoy!

These cars are built like tanks, as mentioned. I've owned and driven about everything before I got my first Lexus (this one is my second), mine have both been a cut above everything else in terms of reliability and value for $$$. There ARE bad ones out there - like any used car make - but the bad ones are far less common than with other makes of car, in my experience.

Change the oil regularly, fix things as they break/wear out, do a bit of preventative maintenance now and then (you WILL have to spend a few $$$ on it from time to time, so plan on it!) - and your "previously enjoyed" Lexus will last for years.

tck...

BTW - since you brought up other cars you've owned - my other car is a '69 MGB. I think I have the best of both automotive worlds. The MG is rough, noisy, drafty, you feel a bit "beat up" (and slightly deaf from the noise) at the end of a long trip. Great fun! The Lexus is the opposite - smooth, quiet, relaxing - put on a CD, sit back in that big leather chair, and just cruise. I always feel like I could go further when I get where I'm going, no matter how far it is.

Opposite ends of the driving experience. Both great in their own way.

BTW - since you brought up other cars you've owned - my other car is a '69 MGB. I think I have the best of both automotive worlds. The MG is rough, noisy, drafty, you feel a bit "beat up" (and slightly deaf from the noise) at the end of a long trip. Great fun!

Yeah, I had a little '67 Triumph Spitfire for a few years that was a blast. Drove it from B.C. to Mexico one summer.....what a trip. It was so low to the ground it felt like my butt was scraping the road :o and every bump was a jolt to the spine but it was sure a fun little machine to drive. I traded it in on a new TR7 the first year they were made - what a mistake that was. It was bright canary yellow and I called it my Lemon Wedge! It was fun to drive too, when it wasn't being repaired :censored:

My dad had an MGA & an MGB ages ago.

Apparantly the cooling systems sucked, as they both blew up, along with many others.

They (old '50's & '60's British roadsters) have an undeserved rep for being unreliable buckets... not necessarily true. They did need a lot more attention than a '63 Chevy or Ford and most owners didn't understand that. Mechanics didn't like working on them because they were different. The cars were cheap to buy and most people ignored the required maintenance - they drove them until they wouldn't run any more either because they didn't want to spend any $$ on them or because they couldn't afford to. Then they complained that they were unreliable. If those cars had gotten 1/4 of the attention and money we lavish on our Lexus, they would probably still be on the road today. A lesson in doing the required maintenance before it's too late.

BTW, British cars (and bikes, for that matter) from about the early - 70's on WERE and ARE pieces of junk, almost without exception. The TR7 was a perfect example of how NOT to build a car!

A bit off - topic... oh well...

tck...