Window Too Tight? Noise Situation...

2001owner

One day, shortly after my recent purchase of a 2001 LS 430, I was very aware of extra sound coming from my driver's side door panel, every time I ran over even the slightest imperfection in the road. On a lark, I rolled my window down a MILIMETER--just the slightest touch--and the noise disappears. In other words, when the window is rolled completely up, snug to the top of the car, I hear the noise (a jittery, sputtering sound).

Some of you might suggest that I roll the window slightly down each time, but I'd rather figure out a way to end the noise problem with the window rolled up to where it should be.

Anyone ever have this problem? I fear that Lexus won't think this noise is a big deal.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what might be happening, and if this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

A

Hi,

There may be some loose nut/screw behind the door panel that needs tightening.

One day, shortly after my recent purchase of a 2001 LS 430, I was very aware of extra sound coming from my driver's side door panel, every time I ran over even the slightest imperfection in the road. On a lark, I rolled my window down a MILIMETER--just the slightest touch--and the noise disappears. In other words, when the window is rolled completely up, snug to the top of the car, I hear the noise (a jittery, sputtering sound).

Some of you might suggest that I roll the window slightly down each time, but I'd rather figure out a way to end the noise problem with the window rolled up to where it should be.

Anyone ever have this problem? I fear that Lexus won't think this noise is a big deal.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what might be happening, and if this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

A

But would this explain why it only happens when the window is securely shut?

Hi,

There may be some loose nut/screw behind the door panel that needs tightening.

Thanks in advance!

A

When you put your window all the way up, it put's pressure on the door panel itself "expands it just a hair". Tighten up the screws around the door panel and see if that helps. Over the years of closing the door and so forth, those screws loosen up a little. Mine is really bad and I'll be taking the door panel off soon to tighten everthing back down. In addition, the weatherstrip looses some of it's sponginess and makes the contact between the door and the car a little bit looser "air seal".

Thank you vyhanh and nc211! I will try this.

A

When you put your window all the way up, it put's pressure on the door panel itself "expands it just a hair". Tighten up the screws around the door panel and see if that helps. Over the years of closing the door and so forth, those screws loosen up a little. Mine is really bad and I'll be taking the door panel off soon to tighten everthing back down. In addition, the weatherstrip looses some of it's sponginess and makes the contact between the door and the car a little bit looser "air seal".

Good subject and your not alone...

I have fixed a few annoying noises in my LS too. The plastic piece in the back of the glove box that is removed to access the cabin filter housing. Last week this thing started vibrating over every slight bump.

After banging on the dashboard I found where the noise was coming from. I removed this piece and it fixed it. I also have a passenger seatbelt receptacle that rattles; the little red insert (the belt release tab) jitters as I drive along. To stop this, I just rotate the reciever counter clockwise into the seat as if to brace it. This stops it....

I too am very annoyed by a car that isn't quiet and sound. These cars do a very good job of being quiet.

However, I do get some popping noises from my console in the area of the ashtray - epecially when it's cold in the cabin. These sounds are loud and happen out of nowhere- kinda sound like toes popping except sharper.... They go away when the car gets warm. I think its the veneer trim piece expanding due to the cold/warm air etc...

For those of you who have rattles they can't find - the seatbelt (took a few months to find) one was really difficult for me to figure out - the way the sound was coming to me, I'd never figured it was coming from the seatbelt release button. It sounded like it was coming from the sunroof. The acoutics of a car will fool you.

The rattle in the glovebox wasn't a walk in the park either (2 weeks of banging on the dash while driving).

PS- I've been a car nut since day one and this is my best one. My last car was a 500SL.

• 2 weeks later...

My 90' LS400 had developed a lot of interior "pops" and ticks, especially from the instrument panel. It was pretty quiet when I first bought it, but I used "Lexol' leather protectant on the interior, as someone recommended and it hardened the dash. I think the sun also had a lot to do with it.

This was one of the main reasons I sold it. I hate interior "pops" and rattles. I had a rattle from the front passenger door too when the window was lowered. Also had that seatbelt rattle from the passenger side.

Ironically, all of the other "Toyota" cars/trucks I have owned in the past have been very rattle and "pop" free. My old 93' Camry LE sedan had 215K when I sold it three years ago and it was still 100% rattle, squeak and "pop/tick" free.

Good subject and your not alone...

I have fixed a few annoying noises in my LS too. The plastic piece in the back of the glove box that is removed to access the cabin filter housing. Last week this thing started vibrating over every slight bump.

After banging on the dashboard I found where the noise was coming from. I removed this piece and it fixed it. I also have a passenger seatbelt receptacle that rattles; the little red insert (the belt release tab) jitters as I drive along. To stop this, I just rotate the reciever counter clockwise into the seat as if to brace it. This stops it....

I too am very annoyed by a car that isn't quiet and sound. These cars do a very good job of being quiet.

However, I do get some popping noises from my console in the area of the ashtray - epecially when it's cold in the cabin. These sounds are loud and happen out of nowhere- kinda sound like toes popping except sharper.... They go away when the car gets warm. I think its the veneer trim piece expanding due to the cold/warm air etc...

For those of you who have rattles they can't find - the seatbelt (took a few months to find) one was really difficult for me to figure out - the way the sound was coming to me, I'd never figured it was coming from the seatbelt release button. It sounded like it was coming from the sunroof. The acoutics of a car will fool you.

The rattle in the glovebox wasn't a walk in the park either (2 weeks of banging on the dash while driving).

PS- I've been a car nut since day one and this is my best one. My last car was a 500SL.