Heater/overheating Problem

BradE

I have a question about my Celsior, my heat doesnt work and my car keeps trying to overheat. I have checked the thermostat and heater control valve and coolant level. Everything seems fine. I think it might be the water pump but if it is wouldnt the rest of my cooling system not get any water? Any help would be appreciated. My Celsior is a 1990 model.

My 94 LS wouldn't provide heat the other day, and after messing with the system for a while, I noticed that the hose at the bottom of the radiator was much cooler than the one at the top. I had guessed that the thermostat was OK, since the car did not overheat-I simply had no heat in the cabin. For grins, I replaced the thermostat with a $7 cheapie, and now the system works peachie. I also was surprised that the system needed more coolant. I'm thinking that the thermostat might have been blocking water flow, but not enough to cause overheating? I'm no mechanic, but I'd recommend replacing the thermostat anyway, since it takes all of 5-10 minutes.

I have a question about my Celsior, my heat doesnt work and my car keeps trying to overheat. I have checked the thermostat and heater control valve and coolant level. Everything seems fine. I think it might be the water pump but if it is wouldnt the rest of my cooling system not get any water? Any help would be appreciated. My Celsior is a 1990 model.

What's the service history of the car? The modification history (things as simple as using an aftermarket thermostat or thermostat gasket = a mod) ? Under what driving circumstances was the problem first noticed?