Slip Indicator And Buzzer

COZ

First event occurred prior to sunset on 14 November. The temperature was in the 50’s and dry. While driving straight and level at approximately 45 MPH the slip indicator light and buzzer came on. There were no other lights or symptoms. After 5-10 seconds the light and buzzer went out by themselves.

Second event occurred on 13 December at ~7:45PM. The outside temp was ~38 degrees F and dry. While driving 45MPH down a gradual hill with a slight left turn I felt a vehicle pulse once and heard a dull thud. It felt like the front left brake pulsed on. 3 or 4 seconds later it happened again immediately followed by the slip indicator light and buzzer turning on. Only the slip indicator and buzzer came on. The light and buzzer remained on for about 5-6 seconds until I put the vehicle in neutral and turned the ignition off. I restarted the vehicle 1 second later and everything was back to normal.

Any ideas befrore I take it in for service?

Something sounds fishy with the first time--should have never some on. did it ever feel like you lost power or anything funny like the second time?

second time might have tripped it but probably not from what you described. Sounds like you have a problem to me. You have to get somewhat crossed up to set it off.

Like mine in the snow, anytime Im playing and throw the backend out in a turn it kicks in and straightenes me out--amazing how it can do it:)

If the system is anything like most it uses the ABS Sensors to register a difference, I have seen some put sensors on the out-put shaft at the Trans-axles.

But basically, if there is a difference between two or more of the tires then the system activates.

In your case it may be as simple as a piece of rust, scale, dirt stuck on one of the sensors and the module not getting an accurate reading.

I'd take a look at the sensors and make sure they are nice and clean..

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking the car in on friday. Tomorrow morning I'm also going to check the tire pressure. This vehicle seems very sensitive to it.

Low tire pressure may be the cause of your issue. If one tire is considerably lower than the others it rotates at a different RPM. The ABS sensor will register this as either a skid or a traction control issue. Hence the Anti-Skid system activating...

• 4 months later...

First event occurred prior to sunset on 14 November. The temperature was in the 50’s and dry. While driving straight and level at approximately 45 MPH the slip indicator light and buzzer came on. There were no other lights or symptoms. After 5-10 seconds the light and buzzer went out by themselves.

Second event occurred on 13 December at ~7:45PM. The outside temp was ~38 degrees F and dry. While driving 45MPH down a gradual hill with a slight left turn I felt a vehicle pulse once and heard a dull thud. It felt like the front left brake pulsed on. 3 or 4 seconds later it happened again immediately followed by the slip indicator light and buzzer turning on. Only the slip indicator and buzzer came on. The light and buzzer remained on for about 5-6 seconds until I put the vehicle in neutral and turned the ignition off. I restarted the vehicle 1 second later and everything was back to normal.

Any ideas befrore I take it in for service?

Well, I never did take it to the dealer back in Dec because the car seemed to settle down. Then last week it went nuts and acted up 3 times in one day. I figured this would be the time to take it to the dealer. They have had the car for 5 days and haven't beeen able to get it to do anything wierd. Has anyone else had this type of problem recently and if so what fixed it? The tire pressure was 40 PSI in each tire.

Well you asked if anyone has seen this problem:)

Dont know what to tell ya--does it do it randomly or can you make it do it? Take the Tech out for a spin and cross your fingers....

Extremely random. Drove with the tech with the diag tester. No codes, ever. The problem never presented itself. They have been driving the car for 5 days with no problems.

Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. He did disconnesct the 4 ABS sensors to run continuity tests on them. Doing that reseats the connectors which my have fixed the problem since the problem may have been dirty connectors. We'll see. I drove it about 125 miles today and I'm about to drive it 700 over the nest few days.

The tech did show me another secret menu. Now if the car acts up again I can view the codes and report them to the techs. With it you can see any fault codes, test all the panel buttons, turn on the rear camera and look at Nav data. I'll post some pics in a few days. But, for those of you that can’t wait to try it I'll describe it. *NOTE* This will lock you out of the radio and environmental controls. Attempt at your own risk!

I have a 2004, 3rd gen NAV running version 3.1. There is an easier way to get there then how I will describe it below but this is the easiest way to describe it. Here is how to get to the secret menu.

- Press INFO button and then “Trip Information” (This is to bring up a background to give a reference for where the hidden buttons are. Once you know where they are you can delete this step)

- Press DISPLAY button

- The hidden buttons are the A in “After Refueling” and the C in “Cruising Ranging.” Press A and C in the following pattern. A,C,A,C,A,C.

- The Service Menu should appear. The only thing I wouldn’t mess with is the Memory Copy and paste stuff.

- To get out of the menu press and hold DISPLAY button for 4-5 Seconds. Normal screens should appear and the radio and enviro controls are released. If that fails turn off the car and restart.

- Have fun!

I will make another thread just for this and for other secret menus.

• 8 months later...

Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. He did disconnesct the 4 ABS sensors to run continuity tests on them. Doing that reseats the connectors which my have fixed the problem since the problem may have been dirty connectors. We'll see. I drove it about 125 miles today and I'm about to drive it 700 over the nest few days.

The tech did show me another secret menu. Now if the car acts up again I can view the codes and report them to the techs. With it you can see any fault codes, test all the panel buttons, turn on the rear camera and look at Nav data. I'll post some pics in a few days. But, for those of you that can’t wait to try it I'll describe it. *NOTE* This will lock you out of the radio and environmental controls. Attempt at your own risk!

I have a 2004, 3rd gen NAV running version 3.1. There is an easier way to get there then how I will describe it below but this is the easiest way to describe it. Here is how to get to the secret menu.

- Press INFO button and then “Trip Information” (This is to bring up a background to give a reference for where the hidden buttons are. Once you know where they are you can delete this step)

- Press DISPLAY button

- The hidden buttons are the A in “After Refueling” and the C in “Cruising Ranging.” Press A and C in the following pattern. A,C,A,C,A,C.

- The Service Menu should appear. The only thing I wouldn’t mess with is the Memory Copy and paste stuff.

- To get out of the menu press and hold DISPLAY button for 4-5 Seconds. Normal screens should appear and the radio and enviro controls are released. If that fails turn off the car and restart.

- Have fun!

I will make another thread just for this and for other secret menus.

Just curious - Did your anti-skid problem go away? I had the same thing happen with my 2000 LX-470 and the dealer said that they could not find anything and that I must have hit some ice on the road (not possible). The fault nearly caused a wreck.