Engine Run-on

vettenut72

Had a new problem with my 95 SC300 last night. Turned the car off after a short trip (10 minutes or so and car had sat all week at the airport), and it sounded like it was still running or trying to start. Turned the key on and off a couple times and if finally shut off. :o

About two hours later when I went to start her, she would not even click. It was night time so I shut off the auto lights, radio, ac, etc and after two tries she started. When I got home I checked the battery with it running 13.8 volts and then again with the car off, 13.2 volts. Turned on the lights and voltage dropped to about 12.4 which seems to imply the battery is good, ie no dead cell.

Suggestions and if I need to get the starter rebuilt, how hard is it to get the old one out, haven't crawled that far under the car yet.

Thanks for all the help, this site always comes through. :)

Joel

Had a new problem with my 95 SC300 last night.  Turned the car off after a short trip (10 minutes or so and car had sat all week at the airport), and it sounded like it was still running or trying to start.  Turned the key on and off a couple times and if finally shut off.  :o

About two hours later when I went to start her, she would not even click.  It was night time so I shut off the auto lights, radio, ac, etc and after two tries she started.  When I got home I checked the battery with it running 13.8 volts and then again with the car off, 13.2 volts.  Turned on the lights and voltage dropped to about 12.4 which seems to imply the battery is good, ie no dead cell. 

Suggestions and if I need to get the starter rebuilt, how hard is it to get the old one out, haven't crawled that far under the car yet.

Thanks for all the help, this site always comes through.  :)

Joel

The starter should not cause the engine " run on ". This can be caused by shutting of the engine at a high rpm or on a overheated engine. Prob. not your case after 10 minutes. Also could have carbon build on the valves ignighting the fuel.

Ok, today I went out and the first two hits of the key nothing.  Then on the third attempt it started fine.  Very confused on this one.  The suggestion for for running some cleaner through the engine is not a bad one either.  Thanks.

Joel

hi it'me again. If youv'ed not already. Check you battery connections for corrosion and tightness. Maybe remove the cables and clean the posts and connectors. A sharp knife or a wire brush works well. Also check for looseness at the starter and block ground