Tranny Cooler?

Pogophil

Does the 2000 RX300 have a tranny cooler? I just purchased our RX300, and I've been reading about the tranny issues. I'm going to change the ATF fluid with Mobil 1 synthetic, and I'll probably add a tranny cooler if it doesn't already have one.

Hot oil is a tranny's worst nightmare, so I think this would help a ton! Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks in advance!

I think, not sure, that only the RXes with the towing package have the ATF cooler. Mine is located in front of the passenger side front wheel liner if you want to look/check.

I wouldn't dare use any aftermarket ATF, Toyota only. Some of the components in these new transaxles are made of totally new materials to this venue, carbon fiber lockup clutch for instance, and only the OEM ATF will be a certain "fit".

And actually HOT ATF is the normal running mode, but yes, over-heated ATF can be really bad news. If you check your owners manual you will discover that there is a warning light in the instrument panel that illuminates of the ATF is overtemp.

Insofar as I know mine never illuminated but yet at 40,000 miles my ATF looked and smelled burned. No doubt over-heated clutch frictional surfaces due to no engine/throttle hesitation to allow them to fully and firmly seat before the onset of engine torque just after a downshift.

After 04 that was fixed by using DBW to delay engine torque for a few seconds after a downshift.