Tire Selection Help Please

I have to get a new set of tires put on my GS4 very, very quickly! I will be ordering within the next couple/few days but before I do, I would like to hear what some people have to say that have experience with tires esp. for aftermarket wheels. I have 235's on front and 275's on rear. (18's)

Any experience with what NOT to get is also appreciated as I am not one for throwing away my money!

Thanks in advance.

How much money would like to spend?

Many choices to choose from...... B)

Well I can get a pretty good discount from a friend of mine which I think is 10% over cost. So, I would like to stay under a $1,000 installed.

I guess you should be talking to your freind and see what he can get for you at 10% over he seems to be da man!!!If your talking chrome wheels and tires it aint going to happen under a grand thats for sure anywhere else anyway.

Just had the Falkens installed on my baby...feeling good so far. ($425 at Sears for the entire package including tax)

I dont know what size tire you have but my guess is if you went on discounttiredirect.com you would have got your same tires delivered to your door for $300.00 and all you had to do is get them instaled..

Size: 205/65/15 in H-speed. You are precisely correct, discountiredirect.com has them listed for only $48 a pop, plus FREE shipping. However, by the time I had them installed it was too late. I don't think Sears Auto is anything great but they are willing to match the price of $48 for those that are interested. And according to their policy they will also give you an additional 10% off the tire price. Gotta love competition. Could have had the tires for much cheaper...

Official Sears Policy

"

We'll Match Any Price Plus...

If you find a lower price on an identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale at another local retail store, Sears will match that price plus give you 10% of the difference. Just tell your sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale and delivery in your area from a local retail store's online site, Sears will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing the item from sears.com, email the information to order@customerservice.sears.com

"

Size: 205/65/15 in H-speed.  You are precisely correct, discountiredirect.com has them listed for only $48 a pop, plus FREE shipping.  However, by the time I had them installed it was too late.  I don't think Sears Auto is anything great but they are willing to match the price of $48 for those that are interested.  And according to their policy they will also give you an additional 10% off the tire price.  Gotta love competition.  Could have had the tires for much cheaper...

Official Sears Policy

"

We'll Match Any Price Plus...

If you find a lower price on an identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale at another local retail store, Sears will match that price plus give you 10% of the difference. Just tell your sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale and delivery in your area from a local retail store's online site, Sears will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing the item from sears.com, email the information to order@customerservice.sears.com

"

Well that is some great news thankyou very much. I would never of thought sears would do that .

yes... thanks a lot for the information. I plan on finishing my looking and making a decision by the weekend. I will post what I go with and the price and my initial reaction to the performance of the tire. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience with tires! :D Greatly appreciated.

yes... thanks a lot for the information.  I plan on finishing my looking and making a decision by the weekend.  I will post what I go with and the price and my initial reaction to the performance of the tire.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience with tires!  :D  Greatly appreciated.

GOOD LUCK!!! :cheers:

Just a few thoughts...my 91LS also uses 205/65/15's and I just checked out Sears.com but their Falken Ziex is the "V' rated tire for $84.99 reg. price. I don't see the "H" rated tire available - this is what all these retailers do to protect themselves, they won't offer the identical product so they do not have to price match. So are you sure that they will match the $48 Discounttire price? Also, even if they do, and give 10% of the difference, that is only $15.20 but you'll have to pay sales tax at Sears so it is basically a wash. I'm surprised that Discounttire doesn't have to charge sales tax from the online purchases because they do have retail locations in my state. Anyway, it is a fantastic deal for $48 each shipped! :D

Just a few thoughts...my 91LS also uses 205/65/15's and I just checked out Sears.com but their Falken Ziex is the "V' rated tire for $84.99 reg. price. I don't see the "H" rated tire available - this is what all these retailers do to protect themselves, they won't offer the identical product so they do not have to price match. So are you sure that they will match the $48 Discounttire price? Also, even if they do, and give 10% of the difference, that is only $15.20 but you'll have to pay sales tax at Sears so it is basically a wash. I'm surprised that Discounttire doesn't have to charge sales tax from the online purchases because they do have retail locations in my state. Anyway, it is a fantastic deal for $48 each shipped! :D

I put Khumos on my GS430 about two months ago. They are light years better than the Potenzas. They ride very quiet and smooth, handle very well (althought not as good as the Potenzas) and were put on the car for $614.00. These tires made my Lexus drive like a Lexus.

You could be charged tax then if there is a store in your state. But heck at 48.00 a tire I would buy them lunch....lol :cheers:

Sears also has the Falkens in an H-Speed for your tire size. Check it out (Do a search on your tire size, then select enter. Falken H-Speeds should appear): http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...1000&subcat=Car

What you will need to do is print out a copy of the DiscountTire.com invoice and take it to Sears. They will need the invoice for pricing verficiation purposes. If you prefer purchasing the tire online, then select the 'Price Match" button on the website for further instructions. Good Luck.

Mel, Thanks for the link - I'm not sure how I missed it - Wow, what a deal! Does anyone know what Sears will charge to mount, balance, valve stems, disposal, shop fees, etc? Very easy to pad their accounts this way. Zinfandel, we do have locations all around Illinois, but when I did a test "checkout" on Discounttire's web site, no tax was added. Perhaps it will be added in a last step that I did not get to?

Zinfandel, I am 40 minutes south of Kenosha - not going anywhere on my old tires - LOTS of snow today! :wacko:

Mel, Thanks for the link - I'm not sure how I missed it - Wow, what a deal! Does anyone know what Sears will charge to mount, balance, valve stems, disposal, shop fees, etc? Very easy to pad their accounts this way. Zinfandel, we do have locations all around Illinois, but when I did a test "checkout" on Discounttire's web site, no tax was added. Perhaps it will be added in a last step that I did not get to?

Zinfandel, I am 40 minutes south of Kenosha - not going anywhere on my old tires - LOTS of snow today!  :wacko:

I hear ya buddy winter is here. I bought some falkens off DTD but puting them on my chrome rims i bought off ebay this spring. That is great if sears matches the price, we even got a sears,lol. Good to know for the future. :cheers:

OK. Now I can say that I also recommend Falken's. I just had a set of the Azenis ST115's mounted and balanced. So far, I have no complaints whatsoever and my vibration b/w 60 and 70 is gone. Very quiet tire that still sticks to the road quite well. I must say I am (so far) impressed with the quality of tire for the price.

I am taking about a 1400 mile round trip in a couple weeks so that should give me a better feel for them.

Also, they look a lot better mounted than they do in some pictures I saw. I was worried but everything turned out great.

If you are looking for a tire that comes in a variety of sizes, is quiet but still performs, and doesn't kill your pocket book, I recommend the Falken Azenis ST115.

OK.  Now I can say that I also recommend Falken's.  I just had a set of the Azenis ST115's mounted and balanced.  So far, I have no complaints whatsoever and my vibration b/w 60 and 70 is gone.  Very quiet tire that still sticks to the road quite well.  I must say I am (so far) impressed with the quality of tire for the price.

I am taking about a 1400 mile round trip in a couple weeks so that should give me a better feel for them.

Also, they look a lot better mounted than they do in some pictures I saw.  I was worried but everything turned out great.

If you are looking for a tire that comes in a variety of sizes, is quiet but still performs, and doesn't kill your pocket book, I recommend the Falken Azenis ST115.

Good to hear DaGunit I am putting them on my ES300 come spring and putting the ziex on my daughters toyota this month. So i was a bit concerned about how they will look also but glad you like them. :cheers:

Good to hear DaGunit I am putting them on my ES300 come spring and putting the ziex on my daughters toyota this month. So i was a bit concerned about how they will look also but glad you like them.:cheers:

No worries.... they look pretty good! I just went out and had a little more fun with them. They really do handle well too. I need to stop "playing" with them so much but they are still new so hopefully that will fade.

I find myself offering to go out for things I would normally put off until later just to be on the road again.

PS. I said I would mention cost too so here goes but don't let it scare you. Keep in mind I have 9" wide wheels on the front and 9.5" wide in the back. 18's that is. But, total final cost with road hazard protection was $670 from discouttiredirect.com and it cost me about $100 to have em' installed.

Good to hear DaGunit I am putting them on my ES300 come spring and putting the ziex on my daughters toyota this month. So i was a bit concerned about how they will look also but glad you like them.:cheers:

No worries.... they look pretty good! I just went out and had a little more fun with them. They really do handle well too. I need to stop "playing" with them so much but they are still new so hopefully that will fade.

I find myself offering to go out for things I would normally put off until later just to be on the road again.

PS. I said I would mention cost too so here goes but don't let it scare you. Keep in mind I have 9" wide wheels on the front and 9.5" wide in the back. 18's that is. But, total final cost with road hazard protection was $670 from discouttiredirect.com and it cost me about $100 to have em' installed.

Those are some big meats !! Hey by the way I need some xmass gifts delivered do you have some time???? lol