Electrical Mystery

jadecuir

I let my wife drive the '90 LS400 yesterday, as her car was down for maintenance. Big mistake. when she came home she said the visor on the driver's side came loose, and she had to shove it back in its hole. Now the radio is dead, the door lock switch is dead, the sunroof, one (right) headlight, the taillights, parking lights, and who knows what else is dead. The owners manual says to reset the circuit breakers with a toothpick or pin. I tried, but they are either not popped, or I haven't pushed hard enough. Could this be a relay problem?

I let my wife drive the '90 LS400 yesterday, as her car was down for maintenance. Big mistake. when she came home she said the visor on the driver's side came loose, and she had to shove it back in its hole. Now the radio is dead, the door lock switch is dead, the sunroof, one (right) headlight, the taillights, parking lights, and who knows what else is dead. The owners manual says to reset the circuit breakers with a toothpick or pin. I tried, but they are either not popped, or I haven't pushed hard enough. Could this be a relay problem?

Sounds like she shorted out a fuse. Check the fuses.

Thats strange. I have never heard tell of them coming loose. I would not think that any wiring is that close to the mounts of the visor, but if it happened at the same time, it sould like that may be. Hopefully no wiring was damaged, but it sounds like there is an electrical shortage somewhere. :unsure:

Good luck.

I found the problem! When she pushed the visor back in the hole, it pinched the wires and caused a short, blowing the 'dome' fuse in the under-hood buss. That took out the radio, sunroof, dome lights, door lock switch, steering wheel tilt, and the tail lights, I think. The headlight was a burned-out lamp. I taped off the wires to the vanity mirror in the visor so they wouldn't short again.

I also found a piece of foil in the cigarette lighter receptacle, which sparked quite a bit while I fished it out, but didn't blow the fuse. It probably would have been a problem if I had shoved my phone charger in without looking!