Looking To Buy An Sc400

sp0rk

Hello -

I'm new here - and new to Lexus in general.

Ive had an older BMW 5 series for quite some time and that car just amazes me everytime I drive it, but as it ages it is getting quite costly to maintain. I have driven almost every car out there and there is nothing out there that I would rather have. I am looking for a daily driver with lower mileage that is a little bit more powerful and a little bit lower maintenance than my BMW.

I have decided that my next car is either the SC400 or an older model BMW 540i/6 The 6speed in the 540 catches my attention, but the reliability of the toyota products makes me say "go with Lexus"

Now it would be silly to ask which I should pick on this forum as I am sure most members are biased - just as I would not ask this same question on a BMW forum.

However, I would like to ask - do the early years SC400s have any MAJOR problems, or super high maintenance issues? In general, what mileage (assuming all cars have been properly maintained) should I say "no" to. I have Toyota Camry with 217,000 miles and its great, but is the SC400 with the V8 the same way?

Is the car fast at all? I was looking into the 540i/6 and it can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds with nearly 300ft-lbs / tq.. .is that SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than this car?

Also - after driving, I feel that the handling and road feel of the BMW is superior - is there any aftermarket parts that I can put on the SC to improve road holding, etc? I understand that comparing a Lexus to a BMW is just... impossible, but Lexus is really the only other car than I like enough to buy and I see no need to own two BMWs.

I am a car fanatic and would not keep the car stock for more than a month, so how is aftermarket parts availability? Is there enough out there to get the SC close to 300hp / 300ft-lbs tq w/o FI? How wide of tires in the rear can I get on it / what companies make aftermarket suspension components?

I do plan to auto-x sometimes - and the BMW would be the main car, but would like the Lexus to be more-than-capable, as well.

Any opinions, comments and / or suggestions are appreciated.

I look forward to purchasing an SC400 (within a month) and being a member and learning all about the SC.

~Don

ya id have to say the bmw is a tad more superior, im not trying to start trouble with the locals but most people on this forum are very arrogant so i expect this reply to get shot down, i have driven some sc4s and a few 5 series cars, the bmws handle better and are faster for the most part.

lexus is very reliable if im not mistaken the top 2 most reliable cars in america are 1- toyota and 2-nissan so if your looking to make fewer repairs this is where its at. i've been looking for an sc4 myself the most important thing is powersteering pump leaking onto the altinator...

theres all sorts of stuff on this forum to read on, and if you are serious on getting one of these its just like any car,.... do some research to be sure its what you want.

---goodluck

I drove an early BMW 530ia for 25 years. It had a slightly modified suspension, straight through exhaust with headers, wider tires and was just so good I didn't buy another car until recently. I never liked the modern BMW 5 series styling. Great engines and superb road manners but uninspired interiors and exteriors. The lexus SC400 is my favorite car and that includes a porsche boxster S. If you do some minor upgrades you get a great handling car that is comfortable for long trips. I suggest keeping the standard wheels and getting 225/55 16 Goodyear eagle F1 GS D3 Tires from tirerack.com. They have the best wet tire traction I ever experienced and are quiet to boot! Try upgrading your brakes or brake pads and if you want you can upgrade the air intake and torque converter. You'll end up with a grand tourismo auto; comfortable,quiet and able to stay with most sport cars on the road today. The major problems are with cars that have not been maintained properly and the common power steering leak that occurs at 75-100,000mi. Check out the site for more info.

I drove a Bmw 325I for 5 years and my sc400 for 6 years, no comparision the Lexus is a more superior car, although the beamer did get up to 185,000 miles and was still running like a champ. I use to buy and sell sc400's and I have seen them running in and looking like new with 200,000 miles and one with 325,000 miles all original, all ran great. Infact the car with 325,000 was sold to me with 55,000 miles showing on the cluster, I later ran carfax and the dealer records and found out it had 325,000 miles, I could not tell it was repainted at the dealer and the leather seats were redone, fooled me ran just like one with 55,000miles on, the engine and tranny were original as well. What gave the miles away were the pit marks in the front windsheild, and the worn out brake peddle pad. I never got the guy. End of testomony. Lexus is King.

I drove a Bmw 325I for 5 years and my sc400 for 6 years, no comparision the Lexus is a more superior car, although the beamer did get up to 185,000 miles and was still running like a champ.  I use to buy and sell sc400's and I have seen them running in and looking like new with 200,000 miles and one with 325,000 miles all original, all ran great.  Infact the car with 325,000 was sold to me with 55,000 miles showing on the cluster, I later ran carfax and the dealer records and found out it had 325,000 miles, I could not tell it was repainted at the dealer and the leather seats were redone, fooled me ran just like one with 55,000miles on, the engine and tranny were original as well.  What gave the miles away were the pit marks in the front windsheild, and the worn out brake peddle pad.  I never got the guy.  End of testomony.  Lexus is King.

They are two different cars. The Lexus, while a sport's coupe is geared towards people looking for a more luxurious car. The BMW, won't have as nice of a ride but it will have better handling and depending on the engind you get, be faster. But watch out for the 540i V8's Nikasil and Alusil engine block problems. Make sure its an Alusil (not standard for the 1995 and below 540i's), as the Nikasil will get carbon deposits in it and eventually you will have to replace your engine in it.

The 5 series is also a 4-door, so they're really appealing to two different uses and crowds with the two cars.

The SC was made to compete with BMW's 8'series early on with affordibility as the 8-series was way way expensive.

I drove a Bmw 325I for 5 years and my sc400 for 6 years, no comparision the Lexus is a more superior car, although the beamer did get up to 185,000 miles and was still running like a champ.  I use to buy and sell sc400's and I have seen them running in and looking like new with 200,000 miles and one with 325,000 miles all original, all ran great.  Infact the car with 325,000 was sold to me with 55,000 miles showing on the cluster, I later ran carfax and the dealer records and found out it had 325,000 miles, I could not tell it was repainted at the dealer and the leather seats were redone, fooled me ran just like one with 55,000miles on, the engine and tranny were original as well.  What gave the miles away were the pit marks in the front windsheild, and the worn out brake peddle pad.   I never got the guy.   End of testomony.  Lexus is King.

They are two different cars. The Lexus, while a sport's coupe is geared towards people looking for a more luxurious car. The BMW, won't have as nice of a ride but it will have better handling and depending on the engind you get, be faster. But watch out for the 540i V8's Nikasil and Alusil engine block problems. Make sure its an Alusil (not standard for the 1995 and below 540i's), as the Nikasil will get carbon deposits in it and eventually you will have to replace your engine in it.

The 5 series is also a 4-door, so they're really appealing to two different uses and crowds with the two cars.

The SC was made to compete with BMW's 8'series early on with affordibility as the 8-series was way way expensive.

Well, I wasn't really talking about performance or comfort, I was talking mainly about reliability and longevity in Lexus. But if we must talk about luxury and perfomance here is a little story; I am aware that the BMW M models and some other newer ones will out perform all the Lexus sc's at stock, however, my sc400 is the exception. I not to long ago raced and barely beat a new M3 BMW 0-60 in my modified and comfortable SC400. What I am trying to get at here is my sc400 came stock at or around 250hp and now has maybe a little over 400hp or so, all the internal engine and tranny components are unaltered and it has 105,000 miles on it also!!! I really don't think any BMW with 100,000 miles on it can handle almost double their horsepower, and run nos on it for what now is going on a little over a year in my car, without any major problems or breakdowns happening. The Lexus's in my opinion is superior to the BMW's, rest my case.