Left Turn Whine? Antenna Problem?

Gene

I'm a new owner. 1994 model with 99,500 miles. I'm trying to get the kinks out. I like your web site.

Light pressure on steering wheel to left offers faint whine somewhere in front. Center or right pressure results in no whine.

The antenna will go up but when dropping it stays about a half foot..

I need tires. Any particular ones favored?

I'll appreciate your opinions. Gene

I'm a new owner. 1994 model with 99,500 miles.  I'm trying to get the kinks out.  I like your web site. 

Light pressure on steering wheel to left offers faint whine somewhere in front.  Center or right pressure results in no whine. 

I'll appreciate your opinions.  Gene

Hi Gene, not sure i can help you with the whine from the front, but as far as tires, after reading some impressive reviews, I decided to buy Avon Tech MS550 Hi performance tires from tirerack. All the hype is true, these tires are ZR rated, cost less then $100 each and drive excellent with a great handling considering the weight of my car. For that price you wont; even get the cheapest Michelins out there :cheers:

I'm a new owner. 1994 model with 99,500 miles.  I'm trying to get the kinks out.  I like your web site. 

Light pressure on steering wheel to left offers faint whine somewhere in front.  Center or right pressure results in no whine. 

I'll appreciate your opinions.  Gene

Hi Gene, not sure i can help you with the whine from the front, but as far as tires, after reading some impressive reviews, I decided to buy Avon Tech MS550 Hi performance tires from tirerack. All the hype is true, these tires are ZR rated, cost less then $100 each and drive excellent with a great handling considering the weight of my car. For that price you wont; even get the cheapest Michelins out there :cheers:

just my two cents on tires i have the goodyear comforttread on my 92 ls and they are super smooth and comfotable, they are known to have a high rolling resistance so yoy may lose 1-2 mpg, but for a really comfy ride AND for being 80,000 mile tires they are great. When putting tires on the ls it may serve you well to buy the tires online and have your local lexus dealer install them as the ls is a cantakerous beast to align and balance. Good luck and welcome, you made a good choice with the ls.

In regards to your antenna problem its most likely the case that the teeth on the plastic cable responsible for lowering that top foot of antenna are worn out. If this is the case just remove the nut on the outside, turn your radio on (to initiate antenna rising) and pull out the antenna as it is pushed out. Inspect the plastic cable for damage (if it is broken then there are going to be pieces left in the motor, in this case you will have to remove it from the trunk and open it up to remove the pieces). If it is just the worn out teeth as expected, order one on ebay for 17 bucks (the mast costs 50-60 from the stealer) and replace it by inserting the cable of the new one with teeth facing the rear until it stops, then turn off the radio and the motor will pull in the antenna. Quick fix should take you no longer than five minutes.

Good luck.

In regards to your antenna problem its most likely the case that the teeth on the plastic cable responsible for lowering that top foot of antenna are worn out. If this is the case just remove the nut on the outside, turn your radio on (to initiate antenna rising) and pull out the antenna as it is pushed out. Inspect the plastic cable for damage (if it is broken then there are going to be pieces left in the motor, in this case you will have to remove it from the trunk and open it up to remove the pieces). If it is just the worn out teeth as expected, order one on ebay for 17 bucks (the mast costs 50-60 from the stealer) and replace it by inserting the cable of the new one with teeth facing the rear until it stops, then turn off the radio and the motor will pull in the antenna. Quick fix should take you no longer than five minutes.

Good luck.

Here are instructions for replacing the antenea mast that are very close to the same as a LS

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=25850&hl=

Thanks for the replies, Folks - About the whine, it was the left front wheel bearing. The repair shop had to keep the car longer. They put in the wrong bearing the first time.

About the tires, I got so tired of looking I was at a Walmart Super Store and saw their brand Goodyear Viva 2. Total price was around $350. I was looking at around $550 for whatever I bought. Little noisy but may subside with tread wear.

The antenna - I haven't run across any place, here or through Google, that offers more that the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. I have the motor out and have ordered a replacement antenna. For whatever it's worth my antenna was the original. The top did not screw off - it was machine crimped. It also has a split top with a nylon washer. I don't know why. I haven't completed the job because the part is not here. If I get it done to my satisfaction I may write everything in detail and keep it for future souls who may encounter this. Thanks again, Gene

Thanks for the replies, Folks - About the whine, it was the left front wheel bearing. The repair shop had to keep the car longer.  They put in the wrong bearing the first time.

About the tires, I got so tired of looking I was at a Walmart Super Store and saw their brand Goodyear Viva 2.  Total price was around $350.  I was looking at around $550 for whatever I bought.  Little noisy but may subside with tread wear.

The antenna - I haven't run across any place, here or through Google, that offers more that the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.  I have the motor out and have ordered a replacement antenna.  For whatever it's worth my antenna was the original.  The top did not screw off - it was machine crimped.  It also has a split top with a nylon washer.  I don't know why.  I haven't completed the job because the part is not here.  If I get it done to my satisfaction I may write everything in detail and keep it for future souls who may encounter this.  Thanks again, Gene

Should have went with the Falken Zeix ZE-512. for $260 installed you could have ahd 4 FANTASTIC tires, search "Falken" for my thougths on these tires. or PM me or "LexusFreak"

• 1 year later...

Hi all, noob to the forum and GS ownership, just picked up a 2000 GS400 Platinum Edition. Nice shape, relatively low miles.

Noticed one issue that didn't appear on my test of the car - it's a high-pitched whine that sounds like radio interference. It only occurs at around 40 mph, when it's very cold.

I turned the radio off to confirm it's NOT the radio. I also put the car in neutral and revved the engine free to confirm it's not the engine.

My first thought is a wheel bearing. The whine stops once the car has been driven maybe a mile, but it's loud and I want to fix it. Any thoughts?

Appears to be coming from the left rear, but no way to confirm that.

Thanks in advance,