Lube Job

waf102

Hi,

I'm taking my 1990 ls400 for a lube job at an independent shop. I changed the oil myself, but I am not prepared to do the the lube.

My father and brother have dealt with is place for years and they seem to be honest.

My conceern is this: Will they be at any disadvantage or rather should I be concerned about the quality of the job (since they rarely work on Lexus cars)

I'm sure they work on Toyota's...will that be enough?

I just want to make sure what needs to be done gets done.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

-Bill

check your owners manual and make sure they are using whatever products are specified in the manual. i would also call a dealer (or two) to get a fix on what they would include in a lube service and what fluids/products they would use. although i do not know that much about cars, i have repeatedly found that learning as much beforehand about an 'issue' helps me immensely in dealing with mechanics. especially indie mechanics. don't assume they know everything, in other words. inform yourself. posting here is always a good idea...there are some v. knowledgeable people on these boards.

Hi,

I'm taking my 1990 ls400 for a lube job at an independent shop. I changed the oil myself, but I am not prepared to do the the lube.

My father and brother have dealt with is place for years and they seem to be honest.

My conceern is this: Will they be at any disadvantage or rather should I be concerned about the quality of the job (since they rarely work on Lexus cars)

I'm sure they work on Toyota's...will that be enough?

I just want to make sure what needs to be done gets done.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

-Bill

a shop that i went to did not replace the small gasket at the drainplug and the car was leaking oil after the service. the leak was found when i took the car to someone else (for another reason), and they saw the ring-shaped gasket was crumbling and had not been replaced. also, others on the board swear by mobil 1 and k&N filters.

Just a basic oil, lube & filter change right?  Shouldn't be a huge deal......bring them the oil & filter if you like.  ;)

:cheers:

a shop that i went to did not replace the small gasket at the drainplug and the car was leaking oil after the service.  the leak was found when i took the car to someone else (for another reason), and they saw the ring-shaped gasket was crumbling and had not been replaced.  also, others on the board swear by mobil 1 and k&N filters.   

Well don't take it back to that shop again......that's a basic item to replace during an oil change.....if they didn't have the right drain plug gasket, they should have ordered one or at the very least, mention it to the customer. :rolleyes:

M1 & K & N filters are decent yes.......Amsoil is quite popular too. ;)

:cheers: