92 Octane

I have been averaging 30 mpg with 87 octane gas on my trips to Portland from Seattle. I switched to 92 octane and got 31.5 mpg. The difference, though positive, does not justify the extra 20 plus cents per gallon cost.

I rode in my freinds 2005 RX330 and noticed his navigation screen said 16.5 mpg since last fill up. When in town he makes mostly short trips as he lives close to his work. This is signifacanly less than my 400h in comparable driving.

While you may get better mileage with higher octane, personally, I feel the real advantage of the higher octane is the small increase in power that you will get from the car.

I always use 93 octane in my RX400h and in my wife's SC430. I use even higher octane (94) in my BMW M5. (Nice to live in Ohio and have the octane options from Sunoco.)

I guess I'm more power oriented than mileage oriented. However the milleage in the RX400h is a nice improvement over the BMW M5. The BMW M5 only gets about 12 MPG when driven briskly.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been averaging 30 mpg with 87 octane gas on my trips to Portland from Seattle. I switched to 92 octane and got 31.5 mpg. The difference, though positive, does not justify the extra 20 plus cents per gallon cost.

I rode in my freinds 2005 RX330 and noticed his navigation screen said 16.5 mpg since last fill up. When in town he makes mostly short trips as he lives close to his work. This is signifacanly less than my 400h in comparable driving.

Just an offtopic question. How can I reset the MPG after every gas fill without resetting the lifetime MPG average? Is it possible?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...