2000 Lx470 Trailer Lights Not Working

lancecurran

I think Lexus may have missed a recall?

I lost my running lights on my trailer harness a year ago. This year I lost the break lights and flashers.

I purchased an alldata access for a 2000 lx470. There info says any vehicle made Dec 1999 and on has new tow harness control box. Any vehicle made before that has the old style and can only be replaced with the old style. My was made in Oct 1999. I researched this and my truck has the same box that 1998 and 1999 cars have. The only problem is both those model years were recalled for this very problem. Recall 99E012000: Trailer Light Failure During Towing

I lost my running lights on my trailer harness a year ago. This year I lost the break lights and flashers.

I purchased an alldata access for a 2000 lx470. There info says any vehicle made Dec 1999 and on has new tow harness control box. Any vehicle made before that has the old style and can only be replaced with the old style. My was made in Oct 1999. I researched this and my truck has the same box that 1998 and 1999 cars have. The only problem is both those model years were recalled for this very problem. Recall 99E012000: Trailer Light Failure During Towing

I have a '99 purchased late '98 so I think we have the same unit. I've replacd mine with an aftermarket from Pep Boys (through my own stupidity I shorted out the factory one) about 2 years ago and have never had a problem. Nothing magical, just cut and match up the appropriate wires.

I have a '99 purchased late '98 so I think we have the same unit. I've replacd mine with an aftermarket from Pep Boys (through my own stupidity I shorted out the factory one) about 2 years ago and have never had a problem. Nothing magical, just cut and match up the appropriate wires.

Is this aftermarket item just the plug and wire? or is it the control box? How do you know what the appropriate wires are?

Is this aftermarket item just the plug and wire? or is it the control box? How do you know what the appropriate wires are?

It's a standard 4 way to 3 way converter (separate brake/turn to combined) and they are at any Automotive store. If I recall, the factory box tells you what each lead is. If not, if you have a simple 12v test light, you can probe each wire as you activate the clearance, brake and turn functions. Brown is usually pretty standard for ground so that's one less.