1st Freeze Last Night

nc211

Had our 1st hard freeze last night "I blame SK and his canadian air he keeps sending me" :whistles: . My steering this morning is like molasses. Time for a steering fluid change? Mobile 1 ATF full synthetic? I know synthetics are better protectors in the cold temps. Any suggestions?

Had our 1st hard freeze last night "I blame SK and his canadian air he keeps sending me" :whistles: . My steering this morning is like molasses. Time for a steering fluid change? Mobile 1 ATF full synthetic? I know synthetics are better protectors in the cold temps. Any suggestions?

nc211, It's been below freezing here all friggin week, So I am just passing that COLD canadian air right down to you :lol: And it seems like there's no end in sight. IMHO I would stick with reccomended power steering fluid, Just change it out and all should be good. :cheers:

Check your tire pressure and the PS fluid level. One or both may be low. Your PS oil filler cap says "Use Dexron Type ATF" and Mobil 1 ATF is a Dexron automatic transmission fluid so it is an approved choice. However, if the steering effort is really stiff like on a car that doesn't have power steering then something more fundamental is wrong like low tire pressure, low PS fluid level, clogged steering rack solenoid filter screen or something like that.

nc211, I'm confused, isn't your 95 ls400 at the dealer's for the wobble problem (following other thread)?

I don't know you like the others so maybe you have another lexus I'm not aware of.

Anyways, just curious.

No you're right Az, it is at the dealer for the wobble problem. I was just posting this one up becuase of the first freeze this year, and the first time the steering was mushy like that. The steering fluid has about 24k miles on it, so I figure I'm getting close to replacing it soon anyway. I only bring in the dealer if I can't figure something out as a last resort...aka...the voodoo wobble. I'll probably flush the fluids after christmas at my buddy's house one weekend myself. General maintance junk.

nc211, I'm confused, isn't your 95 ls400 at the dealer's for the wobble problem (following other thread)?

I don't know you like the others so maybe you have another lexus I'm not aware of.

Anyways, just curious.