Driver's Window Switch On A 96

es300ed

My switch (the one with the 4 windows and the door lock) broke off of the trim. I did a search and learned that I need to pry off the plastic trim with a taped, flat screw driver. My question is - once I pry off the trim and have the switch and trim in hand, how does the switch get re-attached to the trim?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

SK - I found the following when I did a search. If it requires door panel removal I better have it done by a pro. Would a trusted repair shop be able to fix this or should I bring it to Lexus? Thanks for helping me avoid breaking the trim (I usually break things trying to fix other things). Ed

Found on following post:

Eric Cheung Mar 30 2005, 10:49 AM Post #11

I did it! Thanks very much for all your directions. I'd like to share with you what I did.

1. Prying out the woodtrim panel of the switch assembly

There is a little trick in prying out the woodtrim panel of the switch assembly. It is better to pry from the long side first, then from the short side closer to the door hinge. The spring clip is at this short side. Never pry from the other short side (closer to the door latch) because there is a plastic tab there. Prying from this side will break the plastic tab. (I broke it, but managed to glue it back with instant glue.)

BTW, I managed to fix the broken switch for the driver's window. Actually it was the button that was broken and not the switch. The button broken at the hinge. I glued it back and how it is working great.

I don;t think any ES has wood panel trim around the window switches.

Takeing off the door is pretty easy only a couple of screws and it pops off.

Take your time and it will take 20 minutes, the hardest to find screw is under the felt in the handle as well as the one covered by a black dot by the dash on the panel.

• 2 weeks later...

SK - Thta's what the dealer said when they replaced ($200) the part. Told me the plastic wood trim was aftermarket. Because of all the plastic wood trim I wonder if it originally came as standard on my 96 Coach Edition.

I'm glad I didn't try to pry it off. I would have broken it. Thanks.

Ed

SK - Thta's what the dealer said when they replaced ($200) the part.  Told me the plastic wood trim was aftermarket.  Because of all the plastic wood trim I wonder if it originally came as standard on my 96 Coach Edition.

I'm glad I didn't try to pry it off.  I would have broken it.  Thanks.

Ed

I wonder how long that other persons glue will hold up. not really a fix! :blink:

Thanks all. The dealer admitted that the wrong part was installed and will correct it at my convenience. We talked about where in the process it should have been noticed. The dealer said that the person installing the part should have known it wasn't right. I added that the 2 different service managers (the one ordering the part and the one who told me my broken part was aftermarket) should also have known. Alls well that ends well.

Ed