Fun Car Electronics Hack

crazyls

ok got a mini-itx car pc, was really bored (had already added gps, mp3 player and various other applications) and saw an ad for a verizon broadband nic and I started thinking I could create my own onstar type system! Please note I was already a verizon customer..

The verizon bb nic is fast if within coverage area and useable in out of coverage areas. Since some of this depends on having a obd2 car and my current ls is a 92 I had to do this in my 1998 ford exploder (i know, i know a ford). this is the beauty of a mini-itx based pc if you can think of it you basically can do it.. the only thing I added besides the verizon bb nic was an obd2->usb2 module. So with this (skipping lots of details) I can now monitor the health of the exploder and more importantly I can figure out if the wifes coming or going...

Tomorrow I'll be working on the unlocking solution! beyond that I've started running out of ideas, no I can't quite do the post collison detection part yet either. Verizon does limit the type of traffic (can't do voip) and amount of traffic (can't stream video) but I can get around most of these issues..

Anybody have anything else they can think of?